Hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by standardbanty, Dec 21, 2008.

1. standardbanty

standardbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    I am plannig to hatch my own eggs for the first time. I have a couple of questions.

1st: Say if I collect eggs from my 3-5 hens a day and i wanted to put 10 or 12 eggs in the bator... Could i collect eggs over a 3-4 day span and put the eggs in the bator and expect the eggs to hatch around the same time or will the eggs I collected on day 1 start to hatch 2 or 3 days before i collected the eggs on day 4?(i dont know if the eggs collected first will develop will hatch too early. I know this will damage the eggs if I would turn off the turner and and adjust the temp and humidity,

2nd: In the last 3 days when you turn the turner off do you have to remove the turner or just let the eggs hatch on the turner?

3rd : Do you have to adjust the temp and humidity in the last 3 days?

Thanks, Ireally appricate all the advice! Happy Holidays!

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

#1 I say plug the bater in the day you start collecting eggs. Collect the eggs an put them in a cold room at least under 70* but not in the fridge. Every day turn the eggs. Collect for no more that 7 days. Put the collected eggs in the bator as soon as you have as many as you need but no later than the 7th day for the oldest egg. Refrigeration can be used for longer collections but hatch rates go down. They should hatch together.

#2 You can leave it in but I prefer to take it out.

#3 Temp should be the same but the humidity should be higher.

3. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    When we collected I kept them in a room temp container until I had the amount I wanted. They all hatched about the same time. They were all fine.

I do not have a turner. So that I do not know.

The temp remains the same, but you want higher humidity for hatch.

I have only hatched with the summer camp kids as a project though. There are people on here with so much more experience than I have.

Good luck with your hatch! I am sure it will be great! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. standardbanty

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks it sounds good.

Oh yeh.. I for got... When is a good breeding season for Maryland. some people say early december other say spring?

One last thing.... Do you guys prefer to take the eggs out and candle them or just let them hatch on their own. If so how often?

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    [​IMG]

The best way is to collect the eggs over days and then put them in all together (you can collect for up to 10-14 days) Unless you have 2 bators (one for incubating one for hatching) staggered hatches can cause problems !!

I would take the turner out on day 18, I have heard about chicks getting caught up in the turners !!

On day 18 you should up the hum to 65% and not open the bator again in till all the chicks have hatched !!

You should candle at least once so you can get rid of the bad/non fertile eggs (day 12 is good) You dont want anything exploding in there, also keep your nose open, if you smell any bad eggs find it and take it out asap.

I candle day 12 & 18 (somtimes day 7)

6. standardbanty

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks ..... What should i look for on day 12 in the egg?

7. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:On day 12 you should see a "blob" in the egg (that would be the chick) Also the air sac (at the big end of the egg) You might also be able to see some movement.

Any eggs that look clear on day 12 are most likely non fertile or duds. You can open these to see if anything developed.

Check this site out there are some pics on here.... http://lancaster.unl.edu/4h/Embryology/candling.shtml

Do
    you all ready have the eggs in the bator ?? Are they in the turner ??

8. standardbanty

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    I know a family who has started to get rid of their birds due to complaints. The supposedly bought a really nice incubator and if things work out I wil get it very soon. ... When do you put your breeding pens together?

9. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Thats awesome !! Just want to mention the eggs should go in the turner big end up (pointy smaller end down)

What breed are they ??

All mine are together 24/7 I have 2 coops with 2 different breeds.
    Is there a reason why she keeps them apart ?

10. standardbanty

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    I have 3 coops..1 for banties ...1 for standards ...1 for quarentine/ brooder.... I have currently decided to hatch light brahma bantams and probably buffs too if i get them from a breeder

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by