Hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by indigo flats, Mar 7, 2017.

1. indigo flats

indigo flats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    I know there is a difference in eggs you collect from your backyard chickens to hatch and those that are mailed to you. Home grown have a better chance of hatching. But what if you drove about 20 miles to pick some up would they be like mailed eggs or like homegrown eggs as far as chances to hatch. They would be transported in a egg carton sitting on the seat.

2. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    For that short of a trip you can treat the eggs just like you would treat your own home grown eggs. Obviously you don't want to bounce them around. You will have control over how they are handled such as large end up in the carton. Many shipped eggs have problems because of the carrier storing the boxes upside down or on end plus the constant vibration from hundreds or even thousands of miles traveled. Another problem are the eggs that are placed on a non-pressurized cargo plane and the altitude destroys those unprotected eggs.

3. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    Should I let them rest a day at room temperature before setting them I may not know there age and then I may. I rest all the eggs I collect of my chickens but they are only a few hours to a couple days old.

4. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    It is my understanding that same day eggs should be rested for a day before incubating.

I do however put just laid eggs right into the incubator. I also do not let shipped eggs rest before putting them in the incubator. I have done it both ways resting vs not resting and found that for me resting the eggs has not shown any benefits.

I collect eggs and store them in tilted cartons. I attempt to change which end of the carton is elevated at least 3 times a day and store the eggs in a cool place such as my basement. I try to only collect them for a maximum of 14 days but have had good luck with eggs stored as long as 21 days.

The day I am ready to start incubating, I start the incubator in the morning and allow it to stabilize. While the incubator is stabilizing, I place the eggs in a warm room and allow them to come to ambient temperature. That evening I put the eggs into the incubator and start the turner.

Good luck.

5. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    Thanks good information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by