Hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Misha707, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Misha707

Misha707 In the Brooder

Dec 3, 2017
    Napa, California
    Hi there, My hen, Nancy, has decided to go broody. I don't have a rooster and would like to put some eggs under her. Do I have time to order some or should I try to find some eggs locally? I haven't yet been successful in locating some but will keep trying! I would just hate to waste potential babies (& money) if she's moved on by the time they get here. I don't have an incubator as a backup, but could borrow one. Thanks!
    Michele in Napa

2. Misha707

Misha707 In the Brooder

Dec 3, 2017
    Napa, California
    Here she is in all her glorious broodiness :)

Attached Files:

3. PrettyChickens15

PrettyChickens15 Songster

Jan 5, 2018
    Illinois
    How long has she been Broody?

PS, What a cutie!

4. Misha707

Misha707 In the Brooder

Dec 3, 2017
    Napa, California
    She started off slowly by sleeping in the favorite (of course) box and I'd say she's been in there a lot over the last few days. She's in there now while all the others are eating.

5. PrettyChickens15

PrettyChickens15 Songster

Jan 5, 2018
    Illinois
    It doesn't sound like she has been broody for long so I think it would be okay to order eggs depending on how long it takes. Chickens tend to stay broody for about three weeks, but I have had some of mine go over a month.

6. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    If you can find eggs that you want locally, I would go that route. Shipped eggs are always a gamble but if you decide to do that, I think you would have time.

PrettyChickens15 likes this.
  7. RodNTN

RodNTN Hatchaolic

May 22, 2013
    The Volunteer State
    My Coop
    Either way, I think you have time to order eggs or look for them locally :) She's so precious! :love

8. Misha707

Misha707 In the Brooder

Dec 3, 2017
    Napa, California
    Guess what everyone!!

Attached Files:

9. Misha707

Misha707 In the Brooder

Dec 3, 2017
    Napa, California
    I feel really bad for Nancy. Buttercup (orp) was also broody and I split the eggs between them. I peeked in on Sunday (day 19) and saw two had started to pip! I moved mama B to a dog crate in the garage and put all eggs under her. I don't have two crates, and thought this would be best. So far, 5 of the 6 eggs have hatched! Should I give Nancy one of the day olds? It will have to be in the coop with the other 3 girls. I can slip it under her tonight if you think thatsw a good idea. I was just afraid the egg would fall out of the nesting box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: