Hatching eggs

Misha707

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2017
Napa, California
Hi there, My hen, Nancy, has decided to go broody. I don't have a rooster and would like to put some eggs under her. Do I have time to order some or should I try to find some eggs locally? I haven't yet been successful in locating some but will keep trying! I would just hate to waste potential babies (& money) if she's moved on by the time they get here. I don't have an incubator as a backup, but could borrow one. Thanks!
Michele in Napa

Here she is in all her glorious broodiness :)

Attachments

• 20180403_204820.jpg
    20180403_204820.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 12
She started off slowly by sleeping in the favorite (of course) box and I'd say she's been in there a lot over the last few days. She's in there now while all the others are eating.

It doesn't sound like she has been broody for long so I think it would be okay to order eggs depending on how long it takes. Chickens tend to stay broody for about three weeks, but I have had some of mine go over a month.

I feel really bad for Nancy. Buttercup (orp) was also broody and I split the eggs between them. I peeked in on Sunday (day 19) and saw two had started to pip! I moved mama B to a dog crate in the garage and put all eggs under her. I don't have two crates, and thought this would be best. So far, 5 of the 6 eggs have hatched! Should I give Nancy one of the day olds? It will have to be in the coop with the other 3 girls. I can slip it under her tonight if you think thatsw a good idea. I was just afraid the egg would fall out of the nesting box.

Back
Top Bottom