Hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigredfeather, Jan 20, 2009.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I just had an incubating failure. They were all fertile eggs, but none of tham hatched. I think I know what went wrong, and I am wanting to try again right away. My question is, how many people have had a successful hatch w/ eggs that have been in the fridge for a few days. They have not been turned or anything since gathering. The fridge I keep them in is set for 40 degrees. Also, they usually sit in the nesting box for 7-8 hours before I can gather them. It has been really cold here the past 10 days (0-20 degrees). Will them being in the cold for that amount of time "kill" the possibility of hatching?

Thanks.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Below freezing temps can indeed kill the embryo or damage it enough that it will no longer be viable.

I have seen many people refrigerate their eggs have success.

I do not do this. In my experience 40F degrees is just too cold.

I keep my egss around 60 if possible and turn them once a day to exercise the embryo and keep it from sticking to the shells.

Lots of things can go wrong in a hatch. If your eggs were clear I suggest cracking open a few each day and inspect them for the bullseye on the yolk indicating fertilization has taken place.

If you look up at the top of the page and got to the Learning Center link you will find lots of info to help you.

3. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    All the eggs I had left when I candled at day 18 looked good. There was definetly chicks in them. I had problems with holding my temp steady, and I'm pretty sure they weren't warm enough.

4. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Having a low temp can slow their progress, but give them extra time...hope they'll pop out!

5. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yes, low temps can delay a hatch a couple days.

Get a good thermometer, don't scrimp on it. Try your best to keep the temps constant.

Lots of things can go wrong during a hatch and fully formed chicks never pip the shells.

One thing to consider is your breed stock. Chickens used for breeding need a better diet than those just for laying eating eggs. I feed my breeders gamebird feed. They also need a source of good animal proteins to complete their long chain fatty acids to be nutritionally and breeder sound.

Try again. Keep notes and monitor your incubators 3 - 5 times a day.

How many times a day did you turn your eggs?

6. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I have a Bemis and a Springfield. They both read very close to the same.

I tried to supply them with a good diet. I have been feeding them an 18% feed, and have also been giving them wheat sprouts and flax seeds for addition Vitamins A, C, E and amino acids. No animal protien.

I have a turner in my LG 9200.

7. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:That's probably one of your biggest issues there.

What temps are you keeping the incubator at?

8. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I was trying to keep it between 99 and 101, but it is very difficult. The temp is all over the place. It would range from 96-103 w/out moving the dial. After each adjustment, I waited an hour or two before readjusting if necessary. I called the manufacturerer, and they said it may be faulty. I told them I would like a refund and they said that wouldn't be a problem. I am considering buying a used Hova 1533. I am hoping with no adjustment needed, it may take some of the guess work out of the equation and my results will be better.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It sounds like the fluctuating temps probably had a lot to do with it. I got rid of my LG because of that same issue.

Quote:Technically there is no embryo floating around in an unincubated egg to keep from sticking by turning the eggs. The blastoderm doesn't become an embryo until the incubation process starts and the cells start dividing. Turning does help keep the yolk from settling and sticking tho.

You could always try some of the eggs you've had in the fridge, although 40 degrees is pretty cold for them.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  10. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:What is an example of a good animal protein to give them the complete diet they need? I'm going to try hatching again, and see if it makes any difference.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by