Hatching Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jrsqlc, Jan 8, 2010.

1. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    Quick question!
    Why do hatching eggs cost more than day old chicks?
    For 1, not ALL of the eggs will hatch!
    For 2, they are being shipped from who knows where, and there is no guarantee that there OK!
    For 3, Most hatcheries will reimburse you if the day old chicks die during the shipment.

So why not just buy the baby chicks, then hatch your own eggs for FREE???

I love to hatch my own, but now for the prices a lot of the people want on here...or the hatchery price!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  2. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    You won't find the unique breed or the quality of some rare breeds at the hatchery. Some of the best available are sold as hatching eggs only.

3. jrsqlc

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    I dont believe thqat because I can go down the road in any direction and find other small chicken farmers that will sell me there FRESH eggs for $2 a dozen!
    And YES they are rare breeds....and unique breeds of great quality.
    In fact 2 folks within 5 miles of me take there roos and hens to columbus to the chicken expo twice a year...and come home with awards or sell the chicks while there!

The only difference i seee between a hatching egg and a FRESH egg is the PRICE!

4. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    was starting to wonder the same thing. will be interested in seeing more answers

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    It's true that most hatcheries do charge more for eggs for hatching than for the chicks. I'm not sure, but it probably has to do with the fact that chicks are just easier for them to hatch and ship to you than having to collect the fertile eggs, wrap them up, and ship them to you.

In order to get some quailty fowl, it is necessary to hatch eggs from a private seller.

6. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:That's because they are expecting you to eat them, not hatch them.

7. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    You're lucky to live in an area where you can find reasonably priced fertile eggs and chicks. Go for it!

8. jrsqlc

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    So it ok to RAIL someone an extra $10-50 bucks because they are not EATING the egg?
    Maybe it is just me, but I think it is all GREED! There is no egg that is worth that kind of money!
    Not the mention, all the farmers around here know that I am hatching the eggs...because I am not scarred to let them know what I am doing.
    And both farmers even call me right away when i ask for eggs. Most times i get them still warm from being laid!
    And the 2 big farmers here sell there quality hens and roos for $5-10 at 12-18 months old and bring in the chicks that they are hatching!

9. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Quote:agreed. You're lucky to be in that proximity. It is not that way everywhere.

10. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Like some have mentioned, you should consider yourself fortunate to have that kind of opportunity. Yes, I do think it is ok to charge extra if a person is going to hatch them, especially if the person is taking the time to breed their birds towards the standard of perfection. It takes a lot of time and money to breed quality birds of any breed. If it is a backyard breeder with hatchery birds that just has chickens just for the eggs, I don't see a problem with charging for less, just as long as they are making something that can go towards the feed bill. If you want hatchery birds and don't mind the mediocre quality, go for it. They are cheaper and some even lay better, but many do not meet the breed standards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by