hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jessschaub, Aug 4, 2010.

1. jessschaub

jessschaub Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    I gave my broody hen 7 eggs on July 12. One egg was broken last week so I cleaned everything and placed the eggs into clean straw. Mama hen sat back on the eggs with no issue. Then on Sunday one of the eggs hatched and mama hen has been great with the baby. I left the remaining 5 eggs in the nesting box and move the nesting box, mama, and baby to a larger broody box within the coop. (The other chickens can't get into the brooding box.) Mama hen apprears to not want to sit on the anymore. Today I have had three other eggs start to hatch. 1 baby died before being able to break the shell off. 1 baby was able to get out of the egg but it looks like the mama hen peck it and it died. Now the 3rd egg is half way off and I am affraid mama might kill this one also.
    - Should I pull the baby and the other 2 eggs out and place them under a heat lamp?
    - Will mama except the other baby now that the first one is 3 days old?
    - What should I do?
    Thanks,
    Jess

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    I am so sorry about losing your chicks.
    I would say remove the chick unless you can sit and watch what she is going to do.
    Sounds like it is to late for her to take it.
    I do not know enough about eggs without an incubater to help you.
    Hopefully someone else will advise you. I know the egg needs humidity...
    Good luck

3. jessschaub

jessschaub Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    Thank you. I just went out and check on them all. The newest baby is out of the egg and looks like it is slowly moving around. Mama and 3 day old baby are out of the nexting box and sleeping in the corner of the brooding box. I will continue to check on them over the next few hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by