hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by alexjbyl, Nov 21, 2010.

1. alexjbyl

alexjbyl New Egg

Nov 21, 2010
    Johannesburg
    I am hatching koekoek chickens from a amchine. I notice that lately the chick get born with a orange -red bean sized inflation from the anus. They usually die at day two but what is this and can I fix it?

2. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Sounds like the yoke sack isn't absorbed compleley, usually if you leave them be in the bator for a day or two they will absorb it.

3. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    Could be a humidity/temp issue, what are you keeping yours at during incubation and hatch?

4. alexjbyl

alexjbyl New Egg

Nov 21, 2010
    Johannesburg
    i am at 35,7 degr during hatching and 39 during incubating. I djusted the light to be more in the direction of the hatchlings. I think you are giving a good shot because since I increased the hatching temp I am on a 80% success and have only had one like that instead of 3+4 from the thirty.

Maybe you can help some more please, I sometimes get chicks in the nursery of 1-2 days with gaping mouths like they are gulping for air?

Regards
    Alex

5. alexjbyl

alexjbyl New Egg

Nov 21, 2010
    Johannesburg
    Sorry
    Humidity is 70%

6. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    I keep my humidity between 50-55% during incubation and 70-75% during hatch and have absolutely wonderful results so long as it does not go any higher or lower than those percents. Maybe that will help you some. Best of luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by