Hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickendude1, Dec 11, 2010.

1. chickendude1

chickendude1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Morganton North Carolina
    Hi i still have my 1502 Sportsmen Incubator. I have three sets of eggs. One set the 18. Secound set hatching the 28 and the Third set hatching the 31 the humidity in my incubator is 45 % for all the eggs right now. When i put the humidity up for the hatching eggs would it affect the eggs that are in the turner or not any advice thanks !!!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It can. That is why some of us do not do staggered hatches or why those that do staggered hatches often have a second incubator to use specifically for lockdown.

The idea of a certain humidity during incubation is that enough moisture evaporates so that the chick does not drown when it internally pips. The idea of turning during that time is so that the developing chick does not touch the inside of the egg and moisture evaporate directly from it so it would stick to the egg shell. In lockdown the chick is so big it is going to touch the sides of the egg anyway so you might as well stop turning. You increase the humidity so the membrane does not dry out and stick to the chick, expecially when it pips.

This is a simplistic view. I'm sure I don't know everything that goes on during incubation and hatching, but I think this is a good working hypothesis.

Different ones of us get different results with humidity. There are different theories for that, but if you read the posts, there is no one right answer for all of us. I cannot tell you what will happen to your other eggs in your specific circumstances if you increase the humidity during lockdown and hatch or if you choose to not increase humidity for the earlier set of eggs. You may do OK and you may not. I personally choose to not do staggered hatches because of this.

I wish you luck but can't really offer any advice.

3. chickendude1

Sep 25, 2010
    Morganton North Carolina
    I have two incubators that i can use for the lockdown. My two little giants. One has a fan and the other one doesn't witch one should i use ???? I really want to have a excellent hatch rate.

4. wilkey44

wilkey44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Oklahoma
    I have hatched eggs at 45 % with eggs in the turner and eggs in the hatcher and they have done very well from what I have seen of the 1502 its designed to be able to have eggs turning and eggs in the hatcher at the same time so incubated eggs can put in the hatcher and new eggs in the turners or atleast if I had one that would be the way I would use it try it with your first hatch if you have any problems try bumping up the humidity a little but I dont think you will have any problems

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I would use the LG with the Fan to hatch in. Just have the humidity at 60%+.

Matt

6. chickendude1

Sep 25, 2010
    Morganton North Carolina
    Thanks i guess ill do that [​IMG] i hope i have some silkie chicks soon !!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by