Hatching Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by can't get enough chicken, Jan 8, 2011.

1. can't get enough chicken

can't get enough chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Is it possible to hatch chicks from fertile eggs from the super market? I heard it was! Just curious![​IMG]

2. DMSrabbit

DMSrabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    yes. there is a whole thread devoted to it.. search for "trader joes" hatching and you should see it. Fertile eggs from the store will develop and hatch, but usually only the ones that have had limited refrigeration (less than 2 weeks). Preferably you would like to speak with the dairy person, and grab the newest shipment possible, that way you can ensure as best results as you possibly could. If you have a local market (with local farm fresh eggs) you usually have better results, but people on here even claim to have hatched regular store bought white eggs (leghorns probably) that are not even labeled "fertile". When roosters are around, hens tend to be more active layers, so even the largest egg production companies still keep a couple Roosters around.. Always a chance!! [​IMG]

3. can't get enough chicken

Jun 30, 2010
    So if I went to go get the earliest shipment from Trader Joe's I could hatch some of them? Wow cool! [​IMG] How many would most likely hatch per dozen?

4. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Eggs must be fertile. I do not think they keep roosters with hens in battery cages, LOL.

The only chance for eggs fertility are supermarket eggs from "freeranging chickens".

But you do not know if they are "freeranging eggs or not".

Even if they are freeranging and marked as "freerange" there is no assurance they are fertile.

Personally I would not waste my time and effort trying to hatch chicks from supermarket eggs, unless you turn it into hobby and challenge.

But without the rooster there will be no chicks. No kidding.

5. can't get enough chicken

Jun 30, 2010
    But I have seen them sell fertile eggs....I think

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG]

I hatched 3 out of a dozen Trader Joe's eggs.
    Jan 1, 2011.
    [​IMG]

Third one to hatch, on 1/3.
    [​IMG]

When I went to TJs, I dug into the egg section looking for the freshest dozen. The "use by" date is a clue. The above chicks hatched out of a carton labeled "use by 12/30/10." I bought them on the 9th and set them on the 11th of December.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  7. can't get enough chicken

Jun 30, 2010
    What time did u go to trader joe's?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

can't get enough chicken :

What time did u go to trader joe's?

Just about dinner time, around 6 p.m. I didn't get up early to go there. But I also didn't care if anybody saw me rummaging in the egg section, looking for the freshest cartons in the back.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by