hatching eggs

clavesd

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
I have a hen that has been sitting on eggs for about 3 weeks. I don't know how many eggs or if they or even fertilized. I few weeks ago we noticed her sitting and was very protective. I have tried to get her off the nest, but she pecks with agression. A couple of days ago I noticed that she had kicked out a broken egg. The egg was shell had some wetness and I noticed some little black feathers stuck to the inner parts of the shell. I don't know if something has hatched. She still will not let anyone near her. I don't know if it is time for me to get her off or leave her for a while. I don't know what she is sitting on; rotten eggs, dead chicks that have hatched or even something alive.

I will check tomm. This is the first time I left one sit. Do they usually kick out the shell once they hatch?

I got her to lift off enough so that I could see underneath her. There is about 10 eggs. That are pretty clean. I am pretty sure that they are not all fertilized. I only have one rooster and ten hens. I thought about trying to move her to a secluded area by herself. Should I try candeling the eggs before putting them in her new establishment. This is new to me. I am open to suggestions.

I moved mine once and she kept going back to where the first nest was so I had to put her back until the chicks are hatched. I made a nest on the ground for her and she brought them in there for the nights. I would candle them and look for a air sac.

I guess no need to move my eggs, 4 of them hatched this evening. Does any body know how long I should wait before removing them from underneath momma hen?

Back
Top Bottom