hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cutlerfarmer, Jun 12, 2011.

1. cutlerfarmer

cutlerfarmer New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    Hi there, this is my first post. I've been buying chicks for the last 6 months and my chickens are great at laying eggs. They're New Hampshire Reds and they're broody. I want to raise some baby chicks and let the hen do the work. So how can I do this? My dad who had chickens as a kid says to take about 10 eggs and put them in the box, when the hen sees the eggs she'll sit on them. So how do I store the eggs? Can I put them in the fridge for a few days, then take them out and hatch them? I have a rooster, so yes they're fertile. I'm just trying to figure out how to get 10 eggs under the hen at one time. thanks for any info.

2. ninabl

ninabl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    franklin ky
    does she lay eggs in a nesting box? just leave them there for 10 days and u will have ten eggs under her

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Do not refrigerate if you want them to hatch. You can either let her accumulate naturally as she lays, or collect them and store in a cool spot , 60 degrees or do until you have enough. Then put them in the nest.;-)

4. cutlerfarmer

cutlerfarmer New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    she lays in a nesting box. I'll gather them and put them somewhere around 60. I'd like the chicks to all hatch as close as possible, rather than 10 days apart. Will she continue to lay eggs once she starts to sit on them? Thanks for the info.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by