Hatching Eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chick1043, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I'm thinking about hatching eggs! It will be my first time and I have some questions.
    I've heard after chicks hatch put them on medicated chick food, but for how long? Do they need any shots?
    And (just to be sure I got it right) What temperature and humidity should there be in the incubator? Is there a special way to turn the eggs? If there is anything you think I should know about hatching chicks feel free to tell me!! [​IMG] Thanks.

2. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Anyone? ):

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I keep my incubator around 100 degrees. For the first 18 days and my humidity between 40% and 50%. When I set the eggs for hatching I increase the humidity to 65% to 70%.

In medicated feed the medication is amprollium which is in the Starter or Starter/Grower and helps in the chicks development in their resistance to cocci. It is sulfa based. I feed it to the birds until I get my first egg then I switch over to Layer. If I have any medicated Starter/Grower or Grower left over when I get my first egg, I mix in the leftover feed with the Layer feed. There is only a problem eating the eggs layed by the pullets that have had the medicated feed when they start to lay if you have any allergies to Sulfa. I have never had any problems.

If you don't have a turner then I would turn them around 7 am, 3pm and 11pm. Also I would put an X on one side of the egg and an O on the other side of the egg and always turn the eggs in the same direction so that at 7am all of the X's are up, at 3pm the O's are up and 11pm the X's are up. Then the opposite the next day. Just my opinion.

4. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Ok, Thanks! And when they hatch do I leave them in the incubator to dry and when they are dry and walking a bit put them in the brooder box? The brooder box should be 95 degrees, right?

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Many people leave the chicks in the incubator to dry out. Me personally, I don't. I have brooder boxes my chicks go into until they are fluffed out then into a brooder cabinet. I keep the temp at around 95 for the first couple of days then 90 to 95 degrees. You will be able to tell as the chicks will find their comfort zone around the heat source.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. ParagonPoultry

ParagonPoultry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Paragon, IN
    That is a lovely setup cmom!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] and thanks.
    Quote:

8. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    Quote:I agree! I need something like that [​IMG]

9. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Thanks! And thanks for posting pictures!! I love looking at other chickens!! SOO CUTE!! xD

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I like to post pictures. Sometimes when people try to explain something, one picture is worth a thousand words. Good luck and have fun!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by