1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sammark, Mar 7, 2013.

1. sammark

sammark Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    NEWCASTLE. ENGLAND
    I'm getting 6 hatching sebastopol eggs through the post on Tuesday. & I need a bit of advice, I know I'm supposed to leave the eggs to settle for a day or 2 before incubation. My partner/fiance is convinced we should store them pointy side down for some reason but I think we should just keep them flat the way they would be usually in a nest. Any advice or help on how I should store them to boost the chances of survival would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

2. stefan333

stefan333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    KY
    Pointy side down because it helps the aircell stabilize. And by all means DON'T let them settle for a day or two. Let them sit out at room temp for about 6-12 hours, then put them in the incubator.

1 person likes this.
  3. sammark

sammark Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    NEWCASTLE. ENGLAND
    Thankyou very much, I will do that and hopefully get a sucessful hatch. Cheers :)

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    please read the sticky at the top of the goose section that discusses incubation needs of goose eggs (waterfowl) it will answer all of your questions

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by