1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching experience from new member

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nenenick, May 6, 2007.

1. nenenick

nenenick Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2007
    Hello Everyone, I have just signed up for this forum after reading from it for some time now. I have been hatching eggs for 35 years now [​IMG] and have never got bored of it. I just had 4 Lt Brahma's hatch this morning from my new R-COM 20 incubator! I just wanted to say hello to you all! [​IMG]

2. Hi!
    Hatch Day is just as exciting whether it's the 1st time or the 101st time!
    Congrats on the LBs.
    Last weeks hatch here was Ameraucanas, Campines, Japanese, and Cochins.
    Next week it will be more of the same, except I'll also be expecting the first chicks from my new Modern Game bantams.

Lisa

3. wolfpack62001

wolfpack62001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    New Brockton, Alabama
    Wew Hoo! I get to pick your brain.
    Im hatching Silkies this week.
    Would love to have any advice that you have.
    Welcome to the board!

4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Welcome to BYC, this forum can use your expertise so stay tuned.

5. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Welcome nenenick!

Do you always use a bator or do you also hatch under the hen?

Sometimes it seems as if we are all new to chickens, and its as if the blind are leading the blind lol![​IMG]

So exciting to add an experienced hatcher to our humble chicken board![​IMG]

6. speedi3

speedi3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2007
    Litchfield, Ohio
    nenenick Welcome.
    New to the group too, question for you or anyone else.
    I've got 28 eggs in incubator right now with two pipping and a bunch more a 'rockin'.
    My question is: knowing that eggs are not to be turned in the last 3 days, is there any way to avoid the hatching chicks from moving the other eggs before they hatch? Or is this just sort of normal? I have tried to put a divider in the incubator before but they always seem to get over it to the unhatched eggs.
    Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Jan

7. nenenick

nenenick Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2007
    Hello, It won't hurt the other eggs, but is it because they (hatched chicks) are following a light source? Most chicks will move toward light when hatched. Some old incubator manufactures utilized this by placing a trap door on the egg tray towards the incubator door windows. The chicks would move toward the front and fall below into a nursing tray!

8. speedi3

Apr 18, 2007
    Litchfield, Ohio
    No there is no direct light source, it's just the flopping around they do trying to get stablized. I have a little giant dry air incubator so hatching chicks and eggs are all in one unit. I've moved the other three into a separate brooder after the sac is disconnected and they seem to be doing ok.
    Going to attempt to put some pic's up(need to figure out how to first)...wish me luck...[​IMG]

9. speedi3

Apr 18, 2007
    Litchfield, Ohio
    Ok here goes nothing.... just hatched last night and this morn with more to come.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and since these 3 there are now 2 more....[​IMG]

10. SkeeredChicken

SkeeredChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    It's been suggested before, but some people talk about using the rubber shelf lining you can find at some stores. Never personally used it, but I have learned a few things since I hatched my 1st flock. Some things I intend to use next time I incubate [​IMG]

Quote:Speedi, FYI. That aquarium wont last long, lol. Personal experience. I noticed that a few weeks after mine hatched. Man, do they grow ever so fast [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by