Hatching Experiment.... Advise...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by texascowboy1979, Sep 3, 2009.

1. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Of all the eggs I have orderd.. non have hatched in my incubator, only with the chicken... but there might be something extra in the equation I am not aware of...

So... What if i do a process of elimination... to make sure my incubator is working properly...

Should I steal my chickens own eggs and stick them in the incubator to see if they hatch? If they do hatch, then its not the incubator... it has to be the Post Office with there EVIL X-ray machine...

What do you think... does this experiment sound "SOUND"?

Im running out of options and I will not give up on out smarting mother nature...

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    That sounds good to me. I think you should do it.

I have better luck with my own chicken eggs. I just got done hatching 16 out of 19 eggs. I had 9 that were clear. So I think that's good odds.

Let us know how it works. Good luck.

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Step 1.....order 2 digital hygrometers/thermometers and test accuracy of what you are doing. Many of the non battery operated thermometers do not hold temperature over time. Get A springfield at wally world and you can order on line and have delivered for about 7 to 8 dollars each...

Is your incubator holding its temp..is it away from the windows/direct sunlight and draft.

Have you sanitized your incubator between hatchings.

Don't blame all shipped eggs. Please.....A lot of times it's the resting....Do you let the temperatures of the eggs rest after delivery for 24 hours after they arrive at your home.

I've had 100% hatches reported of my eggs that I've shipped....I've also had lower percentages....Often it was a problem of the untested incuabtor or the lack of a pbackup hermostat or hygrometer. Hope this helps.

PM me if you have more questions.

Be blessed and be a blessing....

4. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Step 1.....order 2 digital hygrometers/thermometers
    10-4
    Is your incubator holding its temp..
    Yes
    is it away from the windows/direct sunlight and draft.
    Away from Direct Sunlight, don’t know about draft… Its in the hall counter…
    Have you sanitized your incubator between hatchings.
    Yes
    Do you let the temperatures of the eggs rest after delivery for 24 hours after they arrive at your home.
    Did not know I was supposed to…
    Thanks for all the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by