Hatching first laid egg????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Egg_newton, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Egg_newton

Egg_newton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    I got my very first silkie egg today! [​IMG] I thought they would never start laying. It is a tiny little thing but I was thinking about putting it in the incubator with the my other eggs. What are the chances of it hatching?? infertile??? too small???

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Has the rooster been actively mating with the hen? First eggs are generally smaller then eggs that will be laid later. Also, many times not all the reproduction parts are functioning properly. But there is always the chance that it could hatch. You could throw it in for giggles and candle in 10 days and see what is happening.

3. Egg_newton

Egg_newton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    Not sure about mating. He is old enough and sure acts like those are his girls and everyone (including me) better stay away from them. And they spend a lot of time in this winter weather out of sight under our deck. I just thought I'd throw it in there to see what happens.

4. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I hatched the first egg laid by my little OEG. She had been seen making out with my OEG roo. The egg hatched and was a perfect little chick. We also hatched the next three eggs she laid but eventually sold or gave them all away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by