Hatching for 48 hours, look normal? (pics)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SilkieCanada, May 10, 2011.

1. SilkieCanada

SilkieCanada Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    We are at 48 hours in a couple hours. Not much activity today, I thought I heard her chirping but didnt see any actual moving, but had tons last night and a little bit of blood but then it stopped. Do things look normal from your eyes? Thats my first hatch [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2011
  2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Does the membrane look a little dry? Might want to watch so that it doesn't stick to the chick. May make it harder to hatch.

3. SilkieCanada

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Quote:yea it looks dirty or thats the birds mixed with a little blood. I dont know. How do I know if the bird is having problems at this stage? And is the lack of activity today a bad sign or normal?

4. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    what is your humidity at?

5. SilkieCanada

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Quote:averages around 70 goes down to 60 at night

6. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    If it was me, I would snatch that one out and help it along. It is obviously ready to hatch. I like giving all babies a chance at life and if I have to help, I will.

7. SilkieCanada

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Quote:how would you help it? Im scared it died. What would you do exactly crack the egg?

8. SilkieCanada

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    turns out she was dead. died last night. 1/10 eggs hatched and she was the 1. I took the egg out and tried to remove shelling but she didnt move or peep and after opening up the egg I found a dead bird. Is it normal for it to die such late stage?

9. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    It could have become stuck to the membrane. I've had them die that late into hatching. Most times now I watch and look for signs of trouble.

10. SilkieCanada

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Quote:If I keep the humidity 80%+ will that prevent it from getting stuck? What are the signs you can suggest to me, anything would be appreciated. Knowing I could prevent it bums me out but at least I wont let it happen again if I know. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by