Hatching for friends, do you ever?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iluvsedward, Feb 24, 2012.

1. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    I am hatching 14 eggs for some friends because they don't have an incubator, and don't know how. They have other chickens that I have hatched for them and I think they are EE's. I would hatch them for myself but I don't have room for more chickens...(planning to fix that!) Its so fun..Hatching...I think its way more fun then the actual chickens themselves...sorta..:) So....I cant wait to see what they turn out to be, oh, and the roosters I have hatched before are BEAUTIFUL, unfortunately they are eating most of them... Well, I will update on the hatch. And BTW I am also hatching some quail.. for the first time [​IMG] IF I EVER FIND A CAMERA, I will post pictures of the little tweeties. Well, the eggs anyway. Do you ever hatch for your friends just for the fun of it? :)

2. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I've never hatched out any for a friend, but I did try doing a few duck and turkey eggs for a guy that works at the feed store. I never could get any of them to even make it to lockdown, even though my eggs were developing fine. I wish they would've because he was going to let me keep them. And I completely agree with you, incubating is one of the best things about having chickens.
    Lots of good luck [​IMG]

3. iluvsedward

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    :) Thanks, do you know why they didn't make it? I want to try turkeys or ducks really bad!

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Not completely sure why, but both times they were in the same incubator as my eggs, & mine all made it to lockdown and hatched. I haven't done anymore turkeys since, but ducks are another story - they're so much fun [​IMG] In fact, two of our ducks are setting on eggs right now. Can't wait to see pics of yours when they hatch, especially the quail. I so want to try them [​IMG]

5. mabhera

mabhera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    never done that but if someone I know is interested I would. But nobody I know likes chickens or having chickens....just the supermarket eggs. That is why I started in a chicken closet, no one knew my hobby. Until now. I'm embracing my "wierdness" ....but when I come here I fell they are the wierd ones .

6. iluvsedward

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    as far as I'm concerned, quail are easy as chickens! (even though I've never had the live ones..)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by