Hatching Geese & Ducks together?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Atomzmom, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Atomzmom

Atomzmom New Egg

May 13, 2012
    Hi there! I'm hoping to add some Buff Geese to our free ranging flock on Ancona ducks this spring to act as "watchdogs" and also for eggs & enjoyment :) If we can can locate eggs then we will attempt to hatch them in our Havobator. My question is, would you recommend hatching duck eggs at the same time so that they can grow up together? Or would this end up causing trouble? My understanding is that I don't want geese thinking they are ducks or ducks thinking they are geese.....but I want them to get along & stick together! Maybe I'm just over thinking the whole thing, LOL. Thanks!

2. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    I raised my gander and original goose with ducklings. When the male ducks hit maturity they went after the goose nonstop. As my gander started to mature he focused on the ducks. I seperated the pair of geese for a few weeks and then my gander would not let the drakes anywhere near his girlfriend. From then on he tolerates ducks at a distance. Chickens are hated! He does alert like the rooster does which gives others a chance against Hawks. I used to always lose my silkies to hawks. After getting the geese I haven't lost one to Hawks.

3. Atomzmom

Atomzmom New Egg

May 13, 2012
    Thanks for the reply :) Guess I shouldn't get my hopes up that the geese would have any interest hanging out with a silly bunch of ducks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by