Hatching Geese Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MRNpoultry, Mar 30, 2009.

1. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    I just got 4 geese eggs from a neighbor and am going to try to hatch them. Do they need the same temperature and humidity as chicken eggs do? Do I need to sanitize them before I put them in the incubator?

2. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    Don't know about the other conditions needed for goose eggs (goose eggs probably need higher humidity like duck eggs?), but i would not sanitize them.

3. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    I figured they probably needed a little higher humidity than chicken eggs since they are waterfowl. I read somewhere that it is good to sanitize geese eggs before incubating. And I read something about taking them out of the incubator to cool.

4. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    If you want goose eggs to hatch they need to be layed on their sides in the incubator. Do not stand them on end in an egg turner.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Starting on day 4 cool the eggs each day for about 10-15 min. Then mist them with warm water during the cool down period. Do that until they pip the shell.

6. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    MRN,
    sundown has some good advice; or in our humid area of the South you can just open the door of the incubator (if a cabinet type) and let it continue to run for 15 or 20 minutes; that works too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by