1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hatching geese in a little giant

Discussion in 'Geese' started by silverfilly, Feb 17, 2009.

1. silverfilly

silverfilly Peepin N' Cheepin

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    Ok I promise this will be my last question at least for awhile. I have 2 little giant still air incubators and I want to hatch some geese, I had seen before on ebay an extender for the LG to raise it for the goose eggs but now that Im ready to buy one I cant find one. Anyone know where I can get one? Can they be hatched in a LG without the extender?

2. Slightly Cracked

Slightly Cracked Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    N.E Oklahoma
    There is an extender???????

I have geese eggs in my LG still air incubator right now!!! I put them in on the 14th. I have white chinese(?) so I guess they are smaller than some other of the geese eggs.

3. silverfilly

silverfilly Peepin N' Cheepin

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    LOL there is unless i have completly lost my mind.

How do they fit, is there any head room for them when they hatch? have u ever hatched any geese in it out yet?

4. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Yes, I've seen the extender. Without the extender the top of the eggs is too close to the heating element and will over heat the eggs. I'm not exactly sure where to get one, but I've seen them in hatchery catalogs. You could probably do with taking out the grate and placing the eggs in the water wells. Compensate by adding a container of water on the side. Also misting goose eggs with a plant mister a couple times a day helps as geese require higher humidity.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ooh no! didnt know i need an extender! i have a LG..with a fan...and i just put 3 seb eggs in last night! UGH! now what?? my thermo. is reading the right temp though..i put the probe on top of the eggs...

6. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    I put my 4 Sebbie eggs in my LG this morning, tons of head room, even with the shelf liner in it.

Good Luck!

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:hey cool! were due almost the same time.. [​IMG]

8. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
  9. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    Quote:hey cool! were due almost the same time.. [​IMG]

Actually if you put them in last night today would be day 1, and since I put my eggs in at 7 AM today, which is before 12 PM im on day 1 also, so we actually do have the same hatch date! [​IMG]

We should make our own hatching thread since we have the same hatch date, that'd be cool! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    cool, we'll have to update each other.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by