Hatch-Along - Hatching GS Barred / Blue Plymouth Rock Prize Eggs from Easter Hatch-along Natural Egg Photo contest

JoyfulPromise

Songster
13 Years
Jan 22, 2011
Fostoria, MI
Hi everyone! I was a participant in the recent Easter Hatch-along, and, due to a faulty thermometer
somad.gif
, my hatch was a complete failure.
hit.gif

BUT! I really enjoyed the discussions and contests, AND I happened to win the Natural Egg Photo Contest for this creation that my younger brother designed and painstakingly put together.

The prize was a dozen hatching eggs from Brookhaven's gorgeous Good Shepard Barred/Blue Rocks!
big_smile.png
So, a week later I picked up a VERY SPECIAL package at the Post Office.

As you can see, the eggs were in perfect shape, thanks to Brookhaven's Excellent packing job, and a quick candling showed the air cells in pretty good shape and all still where they belonged! After resting them until evening, I put them in my LG Forced Air incubator in a cut down egg carton. I also had some of our local EE and Delaware eggs in the incubator. Thankfully, I have a new, perfectly calibrated thermometer for this hatch! On Brookhaven's advice from an article she had read, I did NOT turn the shipped eggs at all for the first 7 days. On the 8th day, I started gently tilting them back and forth in the egg carton 3 times a day.

When I candled the eggs on day 8, I was THRILLED to see that ALL TWELVE of the eggs had lively bouncing little embryos in them!

I have been doing a dry hatch, and not worrying too much about the humidity because it has been rainy the past week and I am sure the air is quite humid. I FINALLY got around to trying to calibrate two hygrometers that I have yesterday. My Dad bought me some non-iodized table salt at the store, and I put a 1/2 cup in a coffee mug with some water till it was sludgy, and then put it in a ziploc bag with the two hygrometers.

Well, it has been OVER 24 hours, and the two hygrometers are FINALLY up to around 71% or so, but I don't know if I should wait longer, or if I have the wrong kind of salt, or if I should just take it for granted that these hygrometers are 4-5% off? The temperature has been pretty warm inside today, around 70-73 F, I don't know if that has anything to do with it. If anyone has any advice in this area, I would appreciate it.

I also have 12 Pekin duck eggs that I am incubating for my sister in another LG (Still air) and I would like to make sure I get the humidity up for them near the end.

So I just wanted to share about this hatch and get some advice and would love to have anyone who is hatching around May 6th join in as well!
smile.png

Last edited:
wee.gif
I am definitely following this thread!!! I had a 0% hatch rate in the Easter Hatch-a-long too. Although I did not lose as many eggs as you, we went through the same thing so I really want to see you hatch those beautiful Good Shepherd Barred/Blue Rocks!!! I also won hatching eggs from Wisher1000 in a poetry contest so we both get a second chance! I will probably set them some time next week and I am very excited! I even bought a new incubator for them! Good luck with your hatch and keep us updated!

Thanks for following chickenpooplady! I hope your prize eggs hatch well too!
hugs.gif
What breeds did you get from Wisher1000?

I can't tell you HOW excited I was when I candled the eggs and saw little swimming embryos in EVERY SINGLE ONE!!! It was even more amazing because I was using an extra strong flashlight borrowed from my brother that is MUCH stronger than any other flashlight we had used, and it was so cool to see the little embryo eye floating around so clearly!
celebrate.gif

This is my very first time incubating shipped eggs too, and it would be so AWESOME if they all managed to hatch!!!

I will keep you updated - Only 1 week to go...

Wisher1000 is going to send an assortment of Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers, and Black Copper Marans! I just need to get the temperature in my LG stable. I thought I had it and then it changed again.
he.gif
You have a LG still air incubator right? Do you have any tips on have to get the temperature to stay at the right place? That is so exciting that all twelve of yours are developing! That would be so cool if they all hatched!

Last edited:
That sounds like a fun assortment of hatching eggs! I have a few of our own EE's in with the Barred Rock prize eggs, and also two eggs from our one Blue Copper Maran hen who was in with our EE rooster, so, hopefully they will be Olive Eggers!
smile.png
They look like they are both developing well, as far as I can tell through those dark brown shells!

Sorry, but I am not sure if I have any tips on stabilizing your LG. I have two LG's right now, the one with the prize eggs and our EE eggs is actually a forced air LG, with the fan kit installed. It is the same one I used for the Easter Hatch-along, and I had a terrible time stabilizing temps, and I played WAY too much with the thermostat. Now I know that most of the trouble was with a faulty thermometer, that not only was at least 2 degrees low, but seemed to be prone to showing more drastic temp fluctuations than their really was. This time I bought an indoor/outdoor digital thermomter at Menards ( THIS one) with a solid metal probe that I calibrated in ice water and it was PERFECT - right at 32 F! I discovered that my LG, even with the fan, varied in temperature from the front corners to the back left corner by about 2 degrees! So I figured out that if I kept the thermometer probe in the very center of the incubator at egg height, and set the temp there at 98.7 F-99.3 F, then the hottest corner in the front would not get above 101 F. I also rotated the eggs every time I hand turned them so they would get a chance to be in the warmer and cooler sections.

I actually tied several pieces of thread to the end of the probe and ran them out of the 4 corners of the incubator through the crack between the top and bottom of the LG. That way I can pull the threads and move the probe to the different corners of the incubator without opening the top and that is how I figured out the variations in temp. Might be worth a try to see how your incubator is working.
smile.png

My other LG IS a still air incubator, and that is the one that I have the Pekin eggs in. I haven't done as strict a temp test on it, but I am using another of the same type of Digital thermometer probes set at egg height in the center of the incubator. The 12 Pekin eggs are lying on the wire (on a paper towel) in a circle around the center, and we rotate them around the circle as we hand turn them each day.

From what I have seen, the LG's WILL fluctuate in temp in response to any significant temperature changes in the room they are in. Now that it is warmer up here, I don't have the problem of the room cooling down as much at night, and actually have had to watch how warm the room is because we have two heat lamps in there for some turkey poults and ducklings that we got last week! The best advice I can give you is to try and make sure the room you have the LG in is kept at a consistent temperature as much as possible, and to watch the incubator and keep track of fluctuations so you know when you might need to adjust a bit.

Hope this helps! Good luck on learning the quirks of your LG!
wink.png

Thank you! I have a mason jar full of warm water in each corner of my LG. I also have marbles below the wire for stability. Right now it is perfect! I just hope that it stays like that!
fl.gif
I have read about people getting really good hatch rates from LGs as long as they learn how to us them. That is what I am trying to do. The good thing is, Wisher1000 is not sending the eggs until I have the temperature right.

Last edited:
Here we go! The eggs are in Lockdown as of yesterday evening! I did a last turn and rearranged them a bit, and was able to do a last candle with my new Mini Maglite Pro flashlight that had just arrived!!!
big_smile.png
All the eggs looked pretty full of chick and with good veins in the little space left, and air cells looked good! I put paper towel under the eggs and sterilized a sponge and set that on the paper towel in the back of the incubator, under the air hole so I can drip water on it as needed.

Here is a picture of the eggs before I rearranged them on the paper towel. The Prize Rock eggs are in the egg carton in the middle, and there are Delaware and Olive Eggers on one side and EE's on the other.

Now I just have to wait until Monday!!!
fl.gif

Now I just have to wait until Monday!!!
fl.gif

Or Not! This morning after breakfast I checked the eggs in the incubator again and THERE WAS A PIP!!!! Not in one of the Rock eggs, but in one of our EE eggs! But it was in the WRONG END!!!! AHHHH!!! I checked it quickly to make sure the chick had pierced the membrane, so it could breathe, and it had! Phew! I quickly added a bit more water to the sponge to up the humidity a bit more.

Later at Noon, we checked the three EE eggs that were being sat on by our broody Buff Orpington, Little Girl. One of them had pipped also!! I didn't mention this before, but our plan is to swap out babies once the Rock eggs hatch, and have Little Girl raise the Rock babies. She is 4 1/2 years old, one of our original chickens and my brother Josiah's favorite, and when she went broody he thought it would be neat to have her raise "his" prize eggs!
love.gif

I will update as more things happen... so exciting!!!
wee.gif

I am so happy that all of the eggs made it to lockdown for you. 100% on shipped eggs is fabulous! It's also good for me to see that Buster, my roo is still going his job very well. I haven't set any of my own eggs in a while and was wondering if the numbers were still the same. As soon as you see that first pip I would try to get the humidity up to the mid to high 60's. As the chicks hatch they will bring it up even more. As they are hatching I find that high 60's to low 70's keeps the membrane moist and not as many sticky/stuck chicks.

As for your hygrometer, you did the test perfectly. After 24 hours the reading should be correct. In your case you would either adjust the hygrometer to read 75% or just know that it is reading 4% lower.

I will be following this thread. Today is my birthday and it would be great to see my new grandchicks come into the world today.

IT'S HATCH DAY!!!

There are now 6 pips in the incubator, INCLUDING one of the Prize Rock eggs!
celebrate.gif
The EE egg that pipped at the wrong end yesterday morning has popped up another piece of shell next to the original pip, so it looks like it will be ok on its own! Yay! There are three more EE eggs in the incubator that have pipped, and one Olive Egger, plus the Rock egg.

AND...One of the three EE eggs under the broody has HATCHED, and it is the most ADORABLE silvery gray and white fluffy cheeked chick!!!
love.gif
Another egg under her has pipped too.

So many EGG-citing things happening!!! I will update later with pictures as things progress.

Back
Top Bottom