1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching Guineas

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by m_herrington, Jul 17, 2008.

1. m_herrington

m_herrington Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    ohio
    I have guinea hatching eggs coming in the mail, but I'm not sure what temperature they need to be at. Does anyone know the temp or where I could find out?

I have a little giant still air incubator, and this wil be my first hatch. What does the humidity have to be and how hard is it to maintain?

Thanks!

2. Jaybr

Jaybr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Matoaca, VA
    I just hatched my first batch of guinea eggs and had them in the bator with chicken eggs. Of the 8 fertile eggs i had after candling, all 8 hatched.

I had mine set at 99.5 with my humidity a running around 45%, bumped it up to 65% for the last 3 days.

3. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I'm incubating guineas right now as well. Settings are similar to chickens just takes a little longer. Good luck! Mine are due to hatch tomorrow!

4. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    I've got 40 in my bator right now too, I hatched 7 earlier (note my signature line) temp was at 100 deg. and humidity @ 50% then increased humidity to 70-75% on day 25 they hatched day 27. Next hatchings due the last week of July.
    I think they're much easier to hatch than chickens [​IMG]
    Good luck to you! [​IMG]

5. m_herrington

Apr 18, 2008
    ohio
    I also read somewhere that you need to turn them 5 x a day??

Is that true? Would 3 be sufficient?

When they get here, hopefully tomorrow, I lay them out overnight to settle then put them in the bator in the am right??

6. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Quote:With my first batch, since there was only 7, I handed turned them only 3 times a day, usually first thing in the morning, around 7:30ish then @ 3:00 p m then lastly before bedtime @ 11:00ish. Now with 40 of them, I bought a turner! [​IMG]
    Settling is usually required when warming the eggs to room temp before placing in the bator (late winter/early spring shippings) I only let mine settle a couple hours while waiting for the bator to warmup & regulate it temp before placing them in. I have discovered though and it may be pure coincidence, but I've found that whatever time you set the eggs at, that will be about the same time the hatching will start too [​IMG] I always seem to set them in the p.m. then loose sleep because they hatch in the P.M. DH has dubbed me the Mid-wife of birds! [​IMG]

7. m_herrington

Apr 18, 2008
    ohio
    When do you stop turning the guinea eggs? day 25?

8. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    yes day 25.
    good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by