Hatching Gurus...I have some questions!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ang, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    I have a broody who is now on day 23. So far nothing has hatched. Yesterday there was an egg that looked like it had been sat on too hard and had cracked. I peeled a tiny piece of shell back (I know I shouldn't have!) and there is a chick in there. I brought it in and put it in the incubator because this is the third egg this has happened to. The other 2 chicks died so I didn't want to chance it with another one. How do I know if the chick is even alive? Should I be concerned that there is a little piece of the membrane exposed? Should I be doing anything more than keeping the temp and humidity up? Thanks!

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    If it's day 24 for this egg, then I would carefully candle it and see if there is any movement. Hold it up to your ear and gently tap it to see if you hear any cheeping, scratching, etc. that would indicate a live chick. If so...leave it alone. If nothing, I would open a small hole in the aircell end of the egg and take a look. If the chick is alive you should be able to ilicit a movement by lightly pressing on the chick with a dull oject...like a pencil eraser.

3. Ang

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    I think it is dead. I peeled back a little more of the shell and when I turn the egg i can see it floating but no movement. I feel like such a failure!

4. Ang

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    And really, at this stage in the game should it even be able to float?

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    No, it shouldn't. That would mean that it died several days ago. There should be little or no fluid in the egg by day 21. If there is, the humidity has been too high and the proper amount of water has not evaporated...or the chick died several days before. Sorry...[​IMG]

6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:Hmmm since it was under a broody how does one adjust the humidity? Does that outside humidity affect broody hens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by