Hatching has begun early! Just double checking on what to do.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CluksNDucks, Mar 10, 2016.

1. CluksNDucks

CluksNDucks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2016
    Naselle, WA
    Hello all,

So it's been about 8 years since I worked with an incubator so I'm relearning. Day 21 on my chicken eggs is Sunday but I had one this morning that looked like it's already begun hatching. I didn't notice this until after I opened opened the opened the bator and turned the other 2 eggs. Now I'm just double checking but I should NOT turn the one that is hatching correct? And should I worry about turning the other 2 tonight?

I had read that opening the bator once a day while in lock down was okay but it wasn't gonna go into lock down until tomorrrow. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for any help. :)

[​IMG]

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    usually people stop turning at about day 18 or 19, chicken eggs only go for about 21 days so they are on time.

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Lockdown (weird term) is today. They don't need turning any more. The chicks should have already moved into hatching position and there is no need for turning. Opening most incubators - even once - after pipping is likely to start, isn't a good idea.
    My hatcher holds and incredible amount of humid air that continues to move across the eggs so I can quickly open but those that open from the top will lose most of the humidity immediately - hence the term 'shrink wrap'.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. CluksNDucks

Feb 6, 2016
    Naselle, WA
    Here I thought it was a day early. Sadly I didn't realize that this guy had already started pipping until after I opened it and turned the other two, should I turn them back? Probably not since that would mean opening it again...

5. CluksNDucks

Feb 6, 2016
    Naselle, WA
    Now I have to teach myself patience...lol. This was always the hardest part!

6. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Nah don't bother them they will work themselves right. waiting is the hardest part I remember waiting on my bator about I guess it was nine years since I hatched last.

7. CluksNDucks

Feb 6, 2016
    Naselle, WA
    It's been in the same spot of the egg for about 12 hours now, and not a lot of shell has changed either.

8. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Did everyone hatch out ok? I've been off of BYC the past few days

9. CluksNDucks

Feb 6, 2016
    Naselle, WA
    Sadly no, one that hatched knocked another that was hatching around and caused it's death. The one that did hatch only lived 24 hours. I had a lot of humidity issues, so I'm not thinking it developed properly. Idk.

10. ShanandGem

ShanandGem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2016

I want to work on some kind of divider system before my next hatch to keep the hatched chicks from slamming into other eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by