Hatching has begun early! Just double checking on what to do.

CluksNDucks

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2016
Naselle, WA
Hello all,

So it's been about 8 years since I worked with an incubator so I'm relearning. Day 21 on my chicken eggs is Sunday but I had one this morning that looked like it's already begun hatching. I didn't notice this until after I opened opened the opened the bator and turned the other 2 eggs. Now I'm just double checking but I should NOT turn the one that is hatching correct? And should I worry about turning the other 2 tonight?

I had read that opening the bator once a day while in lock down was okay but it wasn't gonna go into lock down until tomorrrow. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Lockdown (weird term) is today. They don't need turning any more. The chicks should have already moved into hatching position and there is no need for turning. Opening most incubators - even once - after pipping is likely to start, isn't a good idea.
My hatcher holds and incredible amount of humid air that continues to move across the eggs so I can quickly open but those that open from the top will lose most of the humidity immediately - hence the term 'shrink wrap'.

Last edited:
Here I thought it was a day early. Sadly I didn't realize that this guy had already started pipping until after I opened it and turned the other two, should I turn them back? Probably not since that would mean opening it again...

Sadly no, one that hatched knocked another that was hatching around and caused it's death. The one that did hatch only lived 24 hours. I had a lot of humidity issues, so I'm not thinking it developed properly. Idk.

Sadly no, one that hatched knocked another that was hatching around and caused it's death. The one that did hatch only lived 24 hours. I had a lot of humidity issues, so I'm not thinking it developed properly. Idk.

I want to work on some kind of divider system before my next hatch to keep the hatched chicks from slamming into other eggs.

Back
Top Bottom