Hatching has started, one dead already :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hoppyhen, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Hoppyhen

Hoppyhen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2013
    Suffolk, England
    My bantam has been sitting for 22 days. I checked late last night and one of the eggs had started to crack the shell. I looked again this morning and there was an empty egg shell and I could hear chirruping. I checked again several hours and one of the chicks was dead to the side of the mother. There was another empty shell (which I removed) but couldn't hear anything. Another couple of hours have passed and I can see another empty shell and can hear some more chirruping (from out the window so haven't been out at again)
    I don't want to keep checking as the mum isn't happy at all but as they're my first chicks I'm inquisitive.
    As one has sadly dies already is there anything I should be doing/watching for? We'd obviously want as many as possible to survive.
    Thanks

2. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Hello, Sorry about your loss I reackon you should check her againn onece more today and then leave her untill tommorow how many egg is she sat on ? please keep me updated on her progress

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    The way I see it, you have two choices. You can let them be and trust the hen to take care of them, or you can decide not to trust her and as they hatch, take them from her to raise yourself. Personally, I would just let them be. There is no sense in upsetting the hen by continually checking on them as she may accidentally hurt the babies while trying to protect them from you. The one that died may have been weak to begin with.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    How are they doing have you checked them yet and how many is she sitting on ? please reply

5. Hoppyhen

Jul 19, 2013
    Suffolk, England
    I haven't been out again but will check again later when I close the coop up. She's sitting on 8, so should be 7 left.
    I'll leave the mum to it apart from opening & closing the coop but should I put some chick crumbs in the coop in a shallow dish & some water also in a shallow dish?

6. Hoppyhen

Jul 19, 2013
    Suffolk, England
    Hubby just been out & there's another that's been moved from under mum so we've taken it away as it was very cold & put it on a heat pad. I don't think it'll survive but at least it might have a chance :(

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Sounds like you're going to have to keep an eye on her after all if you want chicks. There are a few chickens who just don't make good mothers.

1 person likes this.
  8. Hoppyhen

Jul 19, 2013
    Suffolk, England
    The little one I took out has dried off but has one leg outstretched behind it & doesn't seen to be able to pull it in the way the other does. Also there are still patches of what looks like blood on it - on its beak around its eyes which are closed most of the time and I've only seen slightly open and behind its left wing down its back. I've given it a little water from my finger but don't know if the mum has thrown it from the nest because there's something wrong with it or if this is normal.....any advice bsed on what I've described very gratefully received

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I wish there was a simple answer... Without actually watching the hen, there is really no way to know what's going on there. I guess I'd watch to see how things go with the next ones. If she's pushing them out and pecking at them, you should probably plan on taking them from her and raising them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by