hatching, hatching, hatching!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Moonwalker, May 4, 2008.

1. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    SO far 22 out of 58 eggs have hatched and when I left, several more were pipping. Looks like this will be the most successful hatching of the 4 batches in the big bator.
    (ahem) I managed to keep the Bossman's fingers out of it this time. The only thing he did was pop another tray full of eggs in a few days after I set the first 60, then added some apparently infertile goose eggs. But he didn't mess with the thermostat and ignored my unorthodox humidity control.
    I was having trouble getting the humidity up above 50% for the last couple days before hatching. SOOOO... I looked around for some kind of sponge. No such luck(of course) Hmmmmm, what about...a little stuffed animal that we had left over from Easter give aways? I sat the little teddy bear in the middle of a dish in the hatching tray and added water. Yup! Humidity up!
    I have since cannibalized a couple of old handled wash sponges (for horses) that we never use. Ripped the sponges off and they make a perfect little nest for the bear so that I can put a good amount of water in the dish without having a puddle the chicks can drown in.

2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    congrats on your hatch may they all hatch

3. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by