1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching/hatchling issues

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by StaceC, Feb 16, 2016.

1. StaceC

StaceC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2016
    Hey all, looking for some advice.
    My Americana recently went broody and as we don't have a rooster I purchased some eggs for her (silkie, frizzle and sizzles at my daughters request :) )
    Mumma hen has been a champion sitter and over the last few days has hatched four out of her five eggs, only problem is she's refusing to leave the nest! Even to eat or drink. First egg hatched either Sunday night or early Monday, and it's now Wednesday, one egg remains that I'm starting to have doubts about even though the eggs were technically due today, and I'm getting concerned for the chicks who have hatched.
    Any advice on how to proceed from here would be greatly appreciated :)

2. StaceC

Feb 16, 2016
    For clarity-
    I'm wondering if I should remove the remaining egg, and if this will prompt mumma to get moving off the nest to feed herself and her chicks. I have a feeder of raising mash and water in her pen with her nesting box, but she's totally uninterested. Yesterday with it being so hot I resorted to crawling into her pen every hour or so (it's a converted kids cubby house) to hold the water up to her so she would drink.

3. StaceC

Feb 16, 2016
    Hello, anyone?

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd suggest checking the last egg to see if there is a viable embryo in there. If not, then discard it and move mum and chicks to a brooding area - she'll soon come round i would imagine.

Good luck

CT

5. StaceC

Feb 16, 2016
    Thanks CT
    I've just been reading about the float test, and tried it and just the tip of the egg floated but no movement. Is there anything else you would suggest?

6. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    This is a little "naughty" but just a gentle shake will let you know if the egg is fluid or not. If it is, then discard. Sorry to everyone here who thinks this is madness but its the way its done here in Kenya, and it works!

CT

7. StaceC

Feb 16, 2016
    Yikes! I'll give it one more day (because I'm an eternal optimist! :) )
    And maybe give that a try.
    I candled last night and it seemed to be mostly full with a small air pocket, but I'm a total Newby so don't really know what I'm looking for...

8. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    You've nothing to loose by leaving it another day, so why not?

All the best
    CT

9. StaceC

Feb 16, 2016
    Thank you :)

10. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    You are most welcome!

CT