hatching help needed Please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sher, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Sher

Sher In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Roscoe, Texas
    Can someone help me please? All day yesterday, my FIRST chick ever started to hatch. Little by little pieces of the shell would crack and pop off. Last night, about midnight, I saw the egg rocking a little. This morning, no chick, but there are more pieces of shell cracked and lifting off, but nomovement. Should I help it? How would I do it? How much is too much help? Thank you

Sher Morrow

2. Sher

Sher In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Roscoe, Texas
    I just heard very faint chirping! Guess I'll just keep watching. It piped yesterday early in the am.

3. tobin123

tobin123 Songster

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    give it time they get tired and take breaks

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

It was just nap time. Soon...... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Happy hatching. [​IMG]

5. Sher

Sher In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Roscoe, Texas
    Oh I hope so. My first incubator full didn't make it, I had hopes for my second try. None of the others have pipped yet. Thanks so much, I'm such a nervous chick mamma! I'll try to be patient and let it rest.

Sher

6. Sher

Sher In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Roscoe, Texas
    I have a chick! I think it is a Black Astrolorp. IT is sitting on the end piece of the shell with the breed written on it. I am so thrilled!

Sher

7. 4boysmom

4boysmom Songster

Jun 12, 2007
    yea!!!! It is so exciting to watch them hatch, but so nerve-wracking at the same time. Congrats on your first little chick!

8. Sher

Sher In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Roscoe, Texas
    THanks! it was exciting. I thought I would go crazy, i was sure it needed my help! I am exhausted. I hope another hatches, but nothing is going on. The chick is resting, seems to have gotten control of it's head. I am trying not to check every few minutes so it can rest. I don't remember being this tired after I had my own chick! Thanks for all your help. What an amazing experience. I think I'm hooked.....

Sher 1 Bearded Collie, 4 calves, 1 16 year old cat and 1 baby chick! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. sequoiacyclist

sequoiacyclist Songster

May 29, 2010
    Visalia, CA
    Mine would pip a little hole in the shell and then rest for a few hours. When they finally decided it was time they zipped and were out within 10 minutes or so. Hatching is a waiting game for sure!

10. Sher

Sher In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Roscoe, Texas
    This little one pipped yesterday morning about 3 am. It then proceeded to torture me all day yesterday and most of today. I'm glad it is over, but my, I wouldn't mine if another one started so we could do it again..I am still in the "awesome" stage. Can't believe it worked... [​IMG]

Sher

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by