Hatching help! Panicky mom!!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KateSpitz, Feb 23, 2015.

1. KateSpitz

KateSpitz New Egg

Feb 23, 2015
    Mckinney, Texas
    Hello all!

I'm in the process of hatching 10 lavender ameraucana chicks, and 19 bantams. We've been doing pretty well so far but I'm getting nervous about one on each.

The one bantam has not pipped well enough to have a visible hole in the membranes, however it is more than halfway zipped (shell is gone, but no hole). She's been like that for HOURS AND HOURS and has not shown any further movement (rocking etc) AT ALL this evening.

The Ameracauna has a nice hole pipped but has not started zipping AT ALL. She's had her sweet little beak through since late afternoon (it's just before 9pm here now).

Humidity is 73%, temp is 99.5 degrees F.

I'm so afraid the bantam has passed away,and that my ameraucana won't zip. Can I do anything? More importantly, SHOULD I?

Please help!

Kate

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I know how nerve wracking it can be! They take a lot of breaks hatching. I think it has to do with the blood circulation in the membrane and breaking or pipping the egg signals the blood to go back to the chick. They won't or shouldn't hatch until that's done. So many times you'll see pips stay that way for hours and hours sometimes. With the one that zipped, it's not a good idea to open the incubator at this point. What I've done in the past is put a damp towel over my head and the incubator and be real quick about it. I don't think a chick could easily zip some egg shell without some hole in the membrane. But anything is possible. If you need to just make a tiny hole in the membrane. Just remember it is best to leave them alone.

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I know nothing about incubation. Good luck to you!

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sending good hatching vibes your way [​IMG]. Sorry I can't offer any advice, have never hatched chicks.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Try not to panic :hugs as above they need to rest a lot during the hatching process. They can sometimes be piped for upto 24 hours before starting to zip around the egg so from the afternoon to 9pm I would not be worried yet. As to your bantam it must have some kind of hole somewhere if it's only very tiny to have allowed it to breathe to be able to zip some of the shell away. Opening the incubator is not advisable but as said above you could very quickly make a small hole in the membrane. Opening the incubator is a risk it could shrink wrap other piped eggs. Or it may not, this is a a call you have to make yourself as they are your eggs. Have a read of this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching
    If you do help and see blood or yolk put it straight back in the incubator, it's wont be ready to hatch. I personally am a hands off hatcher and don't open the incubator untill hatch is complete, I may intervene with eggs that are struggling then. Chicks that hatch themselves are stronger better chcks.

I hope the link helps you with your decision and wishing you the very best of luck. Keep us posted on how they get on :fl

6. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good morning and welcome to BYC!

Hope you hatch works out ok, keep us posted! [​IMG]

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

You've received some good advice already! I hope the hatch goes well.[​IMG]

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Hope the hatch goes well!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

10. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]