Hatching help! Panicky mom!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KateSpitz, Feb 23, 2015.

1. KateSpitz

KateSpitz New Egg

Feb 23, 2015
    Mckinney, Texas
    Hello all!

I'm in the process of hatching 10 lavender ameraucana chicks, and 19 bantams. We've been doing pretty well so far but I'm getting nervous about one on each.

The one bantam has not pipped well enough to have a visible hole in the membranes, however it is more than halfway zipped (shell is gone, but no hole). She's been like that for HOURS AND HOURS and has not shown any further movement (rocking etc) AT ALL this evening.

The Ameracauna has a nice hole pipped but has not started zipping AT ALL. She's had her sweet little beak through since late afternoon (it's just before 9pm here now).

Humidity is 73%, temp is 99.5 degrees F.

I'm so afraid the bantam has passed away,and that my ameraucana won't zip. Can I do anything? More importantly, SHOULD I?

Please help!

Kate

2. chickenfarmgirl

chickenfarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2014
    First, stay calm!! Other than that, I am hoping that it doesn't happen to me next week.. Best of luck and keep us updated!!

3. KateSpitz

KateSpitz New Egg

Feb 23, 2015
    Mckinney, Texas
    [​IMG]

Not sure if this pic will work...

4. KateSpitz

KateSpitz New Egg

Feb 23, 2015
    Mckinney, Texas
    [​IMG]

The membranes are intact on this one.

5. Sambi89

Sambi89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    St. George, UT
    So everything I've read has said that it can take up to 30 hours or more for them to hatch after they first pip. Stay calm and also remember that they don't always make it. It's very rare to have a hatch that goes exactly perfect. Some don't develop correctly and can't make it out of the shell. It's sort of the ultimate test. If they die in the egg chances are they weren't a healthy chick. Especially if all the other eggs are hatching fine.

6. KateSpitz

KateSpitz New Egg

Feb 23, 2015
    Mckinney, Texas
    Ok, it looks like my sweet ameraucana is finally starting to zip![​IMG][​IMG]

The hubs tells me not to get my hopes up with the bantam...

So far we've had 5 healthy lavenders, and 8 healthy bantams out of 10 and 19, respectively.

7. Sambi89

Sambi89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    St. George, UT
    Ya I wouldn't risk hurting the other eggs by opening the incubator early to try to help the one bantam. Like I said it usually means they have a defect somehow. Chicks that are assisted in hatching have been known to be more listless and weak. Their eggs and egg production aren't as healthy and strong either. That doesn't always happen but from what I can gather most the time it does. So far that's a great hatch rate you're doing a great job. Don't it get you down but don't completely give up on her either she may still make it. Good luck and keep us updated. Mine are due to hatch on Wednesday I can barely contain myself!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by