Hatching help please!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PamsPride, Apr 1, 2009.

1. PamsPride

PamsPride Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    OHIO
    I set some turkey eggs 28 days ago. On day 8 I set some chicken eggs. I had one chicken egg hatch on Monday morning....some yesterday and one today. I see no other pips in the 'bator. I see no pips in any of the turkey eggs and none of them have hatched. I have not opened the incubator at all. How long should I leave the chicks in the 'bator to give the other eggs a chance or should I just pull them out now and feed them??

2. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    oooo you need to pull them as soon as they are dry. I would remove the rest of the chicken eggs, too and candle or listen to the egg and see if you hear peeps. I would leave the turkey eggs in there until day 31....

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I give ours until day late on day 22 (which would be 29 for turkeys) to make sure.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  4. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    I know everyone says don't open the bator but truthfully if they were mine I'd get them out and try to get the humidity back up as quickly as possible. I don't think I could stand the noise of them rolling all the eggs around much longer.

5. PamsPride

PamsPride Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    OHIO
    But if I open the incubator to take the chicks out won't it change the humidity?

6. B. Saffles Farms

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I dont open my incubator for any reason untill a day after the hatch day. Ive had chicks stay in there for 3 days without any problems.

7. B. Saffles Farms

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:Yes it will and dry air hitting eggs that may possibly still hatch isnt good for them.

8. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    SNeak the babies out if they have been in there more then 24 hours but I would let all the eggs have at least 3 more dayes after that. SOme people have had chickens hatch at days 23 or 24 Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by