Hatching help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bosschris, Sep 21, 2016.

1. bosschris

bosschris Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    Hello I am Chris and new to this site. I have lots of birds and love spending my days with my animals. I have had chickens before but I am new to ducks and Guineas. So that resents me with a question. I have a Pekin duck that started laying eggs and got upset when I removed the first one to the point she had all the other 5 ducks looking for the egg. Quite the noise they made, so I put it back and she then she laid about 10 more and I started finding her sitting on the nest. So I fenced off part of the coop for her and her best. Then to my amazement a silkie bantam stated hanging out with her and putting her eggs in the nest. I am finding that they are taking turns sitting on the nest of chicken and duck eggs. About twenty in total. Do I have any chance of the eggs hatching? I candled yesterday and from what I can tell I have chicks and ducks at various stages of grow. I marked them so I could pull any new eggs cause now a second silky has joined in. Any advice?

2. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    LOL, that's a funny story [​IMG]

Do you have a rooster in the pen with the silkie? What about a drake for the duck? - If you do have males in the pens with these girls, then yes, you should have little ones! [​IMG]However, ducks' incubation time is several days longer than chickens'....so you may need to separate them into two.....

Happy Hatching! [​IMG]

3. bosschris

bosschris Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    Thanks! Yes they were with males! I just have never heard of nest sharing responsibilities split among to different species. I have them fenced inside the coop as to not pull them from the flock. At first the drakes were just walking all over the nest and I thought for sure they would crush the eggs. Once I fenced the area Mema, female duck, started sitting and fixing the nest. About a week later I go in an a silkie was sitting on the nest turning eggs and then sitting down. A couple days later when I was able to get a peek I noticed chicken eggs.

So guess I will keep and eye out for chicks and ducks and once they start hatching which should be in one to two weeks, I will separate them.
    I appreciate your feedback!

I think I have a mixed up barnyard anyway. For the longest time I had chicks that had to be with the ducks or they whined, a feral pigeon who thinks he is a guinea fowl, and now I have a duck and a chicken sharing nesting responsibilities. [​IMG]

4. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    [​IMG]Too cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by