1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching (help)!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by frankie5316, Feb 29, 2008.

1. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Hi frankie,

He is probably resting.

whats your humidity at?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That's not unusual, frankie. Dont panic. They often pip then take a very long nap, sometimes even 24 hours.

3. frankie5316

frankie5316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    o. ok! thanks guys![​IMG] this is my first time hatching eggs and its soo stressfull just waiting for the chicks. do any of you know if its bad to help them out? i dnt think i wil but im just wondering

4. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    You have to be careful doing that. you will let out the humidity and the other chicks will get stuck. Also the draft my kill the one you are helping out of the shell. Just keep checking every half hour or so

5. frankie5316

Feb 29, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    ok, thank you so much! i was probly gonna go crazy haha. this website is the best. thank you very much. i was so surprized because, for such a larcge egg,the chick is so little!

6. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I know how ya feel. I am always scared or worried none will make it. isnt it a miracle to see an egg hatch. all it was, was just a egg yolk and egg white. 21 days later its a cute little chick. its so cool to see a miracle happen

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2008
  7. frankie5316

Feb 29, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    yes i know. I love these kinds of things! and its just so exciting when the eggs are moving and rolling back and forth in the incubator. I can tell its alot of hard work for the chick especially because its breathing so hard

8. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I am doing my first batch of duck eggs. I am so used to chicken eggs. Today is day one and I got 27 days left. Now isnt that torture or what? anyway keep us updated on that chick and the other eggs. Lots of luck to you

9. frankie5316

Feb 29, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    ok, thank you so much, you were alot of help. when they hatch i will post pictures. good luck on your duck eggs! i was planning on hatching a duck egg also, but only one.haha. thanks so much. ill post pictures tomorrow, bye

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by