Hatching humidity level - what's the right number?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Jul 8, 2008.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I'm on day 18 and my humidity is up to 68% with temps consistent at 101. I have a still air LG with 41 full-sized chicken eggs. Each egg has a chick (not shipped; from our own flock).

Ok, now that we're done with the background info -

I have been reading all the posts I can from other members on day 18 & beyond, including from the Learning Center. Various humidities are recommended - from 65% to 80%. I've read about eggs that are too dry, and chicks that drown.

What humidity is too low, what is too high, and what is the perfect number or at least range?

I'm so confused...[​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I will first say that a lot depends if the humidity reading on your hygrometer is accurate. [​IMG] I have learned that my one hygrometer 'reads' 59%, but in reality it is 69%..yes, they can be off and by alot. It's more important to stay within a range and see how the hatch goes. If chicks hatch dry, you know you need it wetter next time. If they hatch soaking wet, maybe lower next time.

Appropriate humidity reading at hatch is 65-75%. I keep it lower if the incubation period was kind of wet and higher if the incubation period was kind of dry. I have found this to be most successful for me.

Jody

3. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

What you've got right now sounds exactly right.

I think the preferred parameters are no lower than 60 and not much higher than 70. There's some latitude, obviously. Hens hatch their chickies under lots of less regulated conditions than the ones we are doing our best to provide in our incubators and hatchers.

I have some silkies hatching right now at 68% relative humidity, and it seems to be going very smoothly.

Susan

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Thank you both - I feel much better now. What should I expect now? I know at some point they are supposed to move and I should/may hear peeping. What days do those normally occur and how close to hatch day?

5. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Looks like you have it going just fine @68% it will spike when they start, but iI never did worry about it. If it does just crack the lid for a second or two it will leave fast.[​IMG]

6. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Yes when they start to hatch the humidity will go up.. you will see a little bit of fog on the incubator window [​IMG]

Once again sending even MORE!!! hatching vibes to you [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Best Wishes [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Thank you! Day 19 and need all the good vibes I can get!!

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Youre fine. Mind those vents...

10. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Good Morning! [​IMG]

How are the eggs doing? they wiggling yet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by