Hatching humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ole rooster, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I read where the humidity in the incubator for the first 18 days should be 55 %. Then to 70% till 3 days to hatch. With the water poured in the bottom how is this 70 % accomplished? I guess what I'm asking is how it it controlled?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Good to hear from you again.

I’ve read a lot of things about humidity. One thing I think I’ve figured out is that the same thing does not work for all of us. Some people have great success and some have great failure at a whole lot of different humidity ranges. That’s one of the reasons the incubator manufacturers tell you to use cheap eggs the first effort, so you can adjust as required.

Humidity is controlled by water surface area. Depth of water in a water reservoir does not have anything to do with the humidity, just how soon the reservoir runs dry. So you decrease humidity by not filling certain reservoirs or maybe covering part of a reservoir with aluminum foil maybe to reduce the surface area. Saran Wrap would probably work too.

To increase humidity, fill more reservoirs. Or add an open container with water in it, though don’t do this in a way the chicks could crawl in it and drown. Or you can add a wick to a reservoir, maybe a paper towel or a piece of cloth. These will increase surface area and increase evaporation, so the humidity should go up. But remember, if these are wicking out the water, it will evaporate faster so the reservoir will run dry quicker.

I add water to reservoirs during lockdown by taking about three of those straws with the accordion joints, cutting them close to the joints, and making something I can bend around and direct water to a certain reservoir. I use a syringe I got at Tractor supply in the medicine section to put water in the straw. The straw goes in through a vent hole.

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Thanks, now that's inovative. I can do that. I've backed off posting very much here cause with some of the women on here and my way of stating a point clashed. I got tired of all the warnings I was getting and me staying confused as to what the problem was. I guess I forgot some women have nothing else to do but uh, fuss. Best way to cure it all is stay to myself. I go on an aborist site that women aren't allowed unless they just got off a ship. Ya gotta be thicked skinned over there. No crying and blushing allowed. [​IMG]

Thanks for the straw idea. That's good.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by