Hatching in a Brinsea Oco 20 - lockdown question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hd_darcy, May 13, 2011.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    When hatching in the Brinsea Oco 20, what is the best way to put the eggs at lockdown? In egg cartons, or is it necessary to elevate the rack? I'm a little confused as to why they have to be elevated?? Please share your thoughts and experiences again. I'm getting ready to incubate again, and want to do it all RIGHT this time from the start! Thank you!!

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I've never elevated the rack in my Brinsea Eco 20. I take out the dividers and arrange all the eggs how they best fit. Between waves of hatches, I remove dried off chicks and their spent shells to give chicks about to hatch more room. I know people say never to open at lockdown, but I've never had an issue, and the eco 20 regains humidity very quickly.

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Quote:X2. Take out the dividers, fill the 2 channels with water and sit back to watch them hatch. When things get crowded put the dry chicks in a brooder, and toss the old eggshells in the trash.

4. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Me too.

5. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Okay, will do! THANK YOU!

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I do the same as everyone else!! I also add that rubbery looking shelf liner to the bottom. Sure makes clean up a snap!! [​IMG]

7. SDpeafowl

SDpeafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Dakota
    I do the exact same thing. I opened mine quite a few times during lockdown and within minutes the temp and humidity were right back to where they were supposed to be. The Brinsea Octagon 20 is a great incubator! I have never had a 100% hatch rate until I got it. I love it! You pretty much set the eggs and wait for them to hatch, with the occasional adding of water to the channels. Hope you have a good hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by