1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching in a Sportsman- anyone using?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Amadeusb12, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Amadeusb12

Amadeusb12 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2009
    New York
    Anyone hatching using cabinet GQF Sportmans? Just curious? Most people seem to be incubating using small still air units.

I am trying to decide whether to just use my hatcher unit and turn the eggs myself, or to use the incubator that auto turns

Any info would be awesome! Also wondering about humidity level. Have done a lot of Cayuga ducks and various chickens, but not Sebbies

Thanks Beth

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
  3. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    Beth , I don't know if it's a sportsman or not but I have a GQF 1266 incubator and a GQF 1250 hatcher for me this is a dream pair .
    I got them cheap from a man who quit hatching ostrich's in them , but they are great for chickens too . previous to this pair I had an old 1200 that I incubated and hatched in .

4. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    I got a new 1502 Sportsman this year. I'm loving it!

5. Amadeusb12

Amadeusb12 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2009
    New York
    What are you running your humidity at? Are you using the GQF continuous water system? I love my units, I just have never attempted goose eggs in them. B

6. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:I try and keep my humidity at 60% all the time. Yes, I use the auto humidity bucket, I really like it

7. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Ive got 2 Sportsman 1502.. I LOVE THEM!!! I plan to get another one next year.. WOO HOO. Best investment EVER!!! Spend the extra cash on the water reserve tank... It will save you time and stress!!!

8. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:Ive got 2 Sportsman 1502.. I LOVE THEM!!! I plan to get another one next year.. WOO HOO. Best investment EVER!!! Spend the extra cash on the water reserve tank... It will save you time and stress!!!

After buying a Sportsman who has "extra cash"? LOL

9. Balbinka

Balbinka Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    "Sportsman"

Hmmm...

**pictures duck, goose, and chicken mommies and daddies in race car outfits popping hundreds and hundreds of babies out of colorful incubators that are revving up their engines**

The mind, it is a tricky thing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by