Hatching In an incubator inside a chest freezer. Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GreenSahara, Dec 31, 2013.

1. GreenSahara

GreenSahara Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2013
    VA
    Hello, I am trying to keep my incubation process from being subject to outside temperature changes. Do you think that there would be an advantage to putting my incubator inside of a chest freezer? Do you see anything that could be bad about this situation. Thanks for the help.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

There would be no airflow- the baby needs oxygen.

3. GreenSahara

Dec 8, 2013
    VA
    Really? The eggs need open access to oxygen? Will it not be enough that I will have to open it a few times a day to turn the eggs? Thanks.

4. ChickensAreSweet

5. GreenSahara

Dec 8, 2013
    VA
    Thanks for the links. Honestly though, I still feel like the air inside of this huge chest freezer should be sufficient. I just have a hard time believing that twelve eggs in the bottom of a chest freezer will "inhale" all of the oxygen inside when it is replenished three times daily? How sure are you on this? Is it worth putting to the test? Thanks.

6. ChickensAreSweet

I am not familiar with the following website but did find one quote that may help you:

"Embryos inside incubating eggs need oxygen which they get via their shell from the air around them. For this reason, it is important to ensure adequate ventilation by maintaining the patency of the ventilation holes in your incubator.
    As they develop, the amount of oxygen needed increases. In larger incubators, this is the time to gradually open the adjustable vents till they are set on fully open by hatching time."

from
    http://www.small-farm-permaculture-and-sustainable-living.com/hatching_chickens.html

7. Timmyray

Timmyray Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    i made one this week and plan to put some air hole in it i think this will help to lower the humidity.so far i have tested it empty and is stays right at 99.5 few test with air holes and ill be ready for eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by