Hatching in Brinsea eco

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by joe17, Jul 10, 2011.

1. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I have a Brinsea eco that I hatch my silkies in often. My uncle asked if I would hatch 9 peacock eggs that got shipped to him from Florida I think. SO, the eggs are really big compared to my silkies! I was surprised they fit well in my brinsea. I could probably fit almost 15 eggs in there. I was wondering if I could let the peachicks hatch in the brinsea. It may be too small for them. I have seen pictures of peachicks but I cant really tell if they would hatch comfortably in my incubator. I do have a hova bator just in case. Also, what do I feed the peachicks? Regular chicken food? I have gamebird started and chicken starter. I usually mix both to get about 22% with animal protein.

How hard are they to raise? I hear they try to fly and can break their necks and that they are pretty dumb! I have a guinea pig cage with a wire top so they can't fly out or injure themselves to badly. I also have a big wooden rabbit cage with wire bottom. Which is better?

2. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    I am new to peafowl but as far as I know they are very similar to turkeys , so they get feed non medicated high pretein feed

turkey starter or game bird

set the eggs on their side when you set them in the incubator

50% humidity

is good that you have the hovabaor ust in case you need it to split the hatch once they get to that point

3. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Quote:They are similar to raising turkeys but don't need high protien feed. It can cause leg problems as they grow. They need a 20% medicated chick starter.

4. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Quote:They are similar to raising turkeys but don't need high protien feed. It can cause leg problems as they grow. They need a 20% medicated chick starter.

Yeah high protein is bad!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by