hatching in egg carton

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 2hot2chicken, Jan 22, 2012.

1. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    So I have a question....
    I'm hatching for the first time in an incubator and egg carton. I have eggs all placed with air cells up, total of 23 eggs in a LG still air. Some are shipped eggs and some are my silkie eggs. I let all eggs sit for about 18 hours before setting them and I let them sit in bator for the first 12 hours without rotating. Temps are holding great 99 on metal grate and 101ish at top of eggs. Humidity is holding steady at 30%. I am rotating by hand and temps only drop a couple deg when I open it and go back up really fast because my house stays at a steady 72 deg normal temp. Right now when I rotate eggs I am just rocking them back and forth in the carton.

Since they have been in the bator for a couple days now should I rotate them on end with air cell down for a wihle or just keep rocking them back and fourth with air cell up? A couple of the shipped eggs had the air cells broken but they were looking better after after they sat for a while so I went ahead and set them hoping for the best. I have not candled them to check them yet as I don't want to disturb them to much until day 7. On day 7 I will be candleing a few of them to check progress but I am going to wait until day 14 to candle them all and discard the ones not developing. I'm just wondering if during rotation anyone turns them upside down at all? I am also flipping the cartons around so the eggs in the middle get moved to the outside and vis versa.

2. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    No, don't turn them upside down, just continue to rock them back and forth.

Good luck with your hatch!

Deb

3. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    Ok thats what I figured just thought I would ask since Ive never hatched in a bator or in an egg carton. Just doesnt seem like much movement to even be worth it really. I am using large size egg cartons for bantam eggs but there is still limited movement. How do they actually hatch if they are upright like that when they lay sideways in the nest with hen?

4. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    When they are laying on their side, they still zip around the larger end (generally) and then push off the top. They'll do the same thing in the carton, just up instead of sideways.

Deb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by