1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching In Egg Cartons- Do's or Dont's?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Faerytalefarm, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Faerytalefarm

Faerytalefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Any suggestions for hatching in cartons?

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Just do it! Oh, and some folks cut out the bottoms a bit. Happy hatching!:)

3. Faerytalefarm

Sep 23, 2011
    Quote:Do you know what the purpose is for cutting out the bottoms of the cartons is?

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    To give the fresh air and the humidity as much access as possible to the whole surface of the egg shell. I hatch in cartons, and I cut out the bottom of the egg 'cup' as well as cutting down the sides of the carton as well. You just need enough carton left to hold the egg in place, adn you don't want a chick pipping below the top of the carton and maybe getting stuck or not being able to get its beak out to the fresh air...

Carton hatching is great - I love it. It's tidy, and it's easy to keep track of which egg is which, as they never roll around...

5. Faerytalefarm

Sep 23, 2011
    Quote:Thanks! It sounds like the answer for unhatched eggs being rolled around by new chicks.

6. adkins90

adkins90 Truly Obsessed...

Jan 30, 2007
    Huntington, WV
    Can anyone post a pic of this method? and how much to cut down cartons?

Thanks!

7. philogirl

philogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Quote:Thanks! It sounds like the answer for unhatched eggs being rolled around by new chicks.

I just hatched 20 chicks out of 21 with cartons for the first time. I used 1 styro carton and one fiber. I have read to use styro cartons, but only had one. What I read said fiber absorbs moisture. I had no problem with moisture. In fact in the end the humidity was too high.

I cut the bottom out of each cell. I did not cut down the carton. I might for bantam eggs.

It was perfect. All generally pipped on the high side. No rolling eggs. I tilted the cartons against the incubator sides. Chicks tumbled out of carton. Most of the shells stayed in the carton.

I will definitely do this again, especially with shipped eggs.

You can see my one remaining egg in the carton at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/avhs-chickens. I just cleaned up all the empty shells and took the empty carton out.

8. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    I used a carton for both of my first hatches. I had one egg that I found to have pipped low, so I layed it out and it hatched just fine. I does hold the eggs very still.

Just a thought for you pros, I would think that holding the egg steady would give the chick more leverage for pipping and hatching. In trying to recreate the nest like enviroment, eggs do not roll all over the nest. My first try at hatching saw all of my chicks come from the carton eggs, none from the floor. My last hatch was 5 out of 7. 2 stopped growing around lockdown time. The upside down pip would seem to be a problem in a carton.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I used to use the cartons but I don't anymore.

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Mr. Nappy

Mr. Nappy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    Cmom, why not anymore, if I may ask?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by