Hatching in egg cartons or not. Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by millejn3, May 12, 2010.

1. millejn3

millejn3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2010
    central IL
    Hello everyone,
    I have 50 eggs that I just locked down about 15 minutes ago. I have never tried hatching in egg cartons but this time Im going to give it a go. I have always had good luck with just lying my eggs in the bottom of the hatching tray. So what does everyone think.

Whats your opinion? Egg cartons or not? Better or worse?

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. CrazyWestTexasFarmGirl

CrazyWestTexasFarmGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    West Texas
    LOVE IT!
    Had much better hatch rate...
    They seemed to zip easier and if they zippped and popped before quite being ready I had some sit in their eggs until the were ready... no unabsorbed yolks this last time. THey seemed sturdier and bouncier and less exhausted and the only ones I have lost were the last two that I thought were duds that shrinked wrapped when I opened the incubator to clena it out and foudn they had pipped and I didnt know it ... I had to help them out and they didnt make it.

S

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Love it!! I also like to put a piece of rubber shelf liner over the wire. I think it helps them with their footing and between the cartons and the liner clean-up is super easy.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I don't use them, but I'm under the belief "if it's not broke, dont' fix it". I have great hatches just laying them down on the wire.

5. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:My First hatch in an incubator but im not going to either (lockdowns tomorrow) under that idea.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Good luck with your hatch! [​IMG]

7. millejn3

Mar 27, 2010
    central IL
    After joining this forum I saw that many people are hatching in cartoons. So how about pro's and con's
    Anyone have any pro's and con's on this.
    I would love to hear them if you do.

8. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    umm quick question do you put the eggs in the cartons on day 1 or just 2days before they hatch on the lockdown? and if you put them in the cartons from day 1 how do you turn them just tilt them a little or like start fat side up then flip to skinny tip up?

9. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I tried it once on my second hatch and it was OK, my concerns were if the bator was full - mine was not - I would think they may get smooshed together. Definietly not as messy
    I think with a semi-full bator, I would do it again. Now, my bator is full, so I think this time I am going to pass and just lay them down. Or, I will cut them down lower so that the cup is just serving as an egg holder, to keep the hatching egg upright, with very little cardboard left on the side.
    That's my observations with my hatches.

10. millejn3

Mar 27, 2010
    central IL
    I cut most of the carton away to allow the heated air curculate around the eggs better. I also cut the bottoms out of each holder and the top out of each top divider. I have 59 b. orffington, asrtolerlorp, and bc maran eggs locked down now and all in cartons. this will be my first time for hatching in cartons so in a few days I will know if it will be my last.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by