Hatching in egg cartons

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Flashy2003, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Flashy2003

Flashy2003 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    Connecticut
    Hi, I have a Brinsea Mini that is due for a hatch in two weeks. Its small so my options are limited. When one of the chicks hatch, Isn't the chick going to knock around all the other eggs? I dont want them to be turned over after there in position. So I was thinking about cutting an egg carton up so they are all single egg holders to put the eggs in for lock down. But then if those get knocked over it might be even worse. I should of gotten the Octo 20. But you live and you learn. Any suggestions or pics would be great. Thanks

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If I had that bator.. (so wish that I did), I would cut up cartons and then TAPE them together so that they can't be tipped over... in a circle....

3. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    The cups need stability so having a single cup with an egg in it is going to cause broken eggs when the first chick hatches.. Don't worry about the little fuzzy butt playing soccer... It will encourage the others to come out and play too...

Goddess [​IMG]

4. Flashy2003

Dec 31, 2010
    Connecticut
    Quote:If they are in position and tipped over it wont affect them?

5. Flashy2003

Dec 31, 2010
    Connecticut
    Quote:Thats a good idea. But will the hatched chick need room to move around for a day? This is why I wish I had a bigger bator. Maybe I need two.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I wouldn't even try to deal with cartons in the Mini, as the eggs are incubated and turned on their sides, anyway. It makes more sense to use the egg cartons in the kinds of 'bators which hold the eggs upright, such as the Octagon20s and all.

7. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Quote:If they are in position and tipped over it wont affect them?

If they are in cartons and the cartons get tipped, it will possibly break the egg... If you don't use the cartons, the eggs will be on their sides and just roll around.. Rolling a bit will not harm the chicks or the eggs...

Goddess [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by