Hatching in Homemade incubator

Discussion in 'Quail' started by leghornlover@123, Oct 16, 2011.

1. leghornlover@123

leghornlover@123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    What does the tempature and humidty have to be its on a homemade incubater the foam kind and is it ok to open the incubater to turn an candle the eggs there contrix im nervious gonna get eggs next week and what does it mean by lockdown/brooder? Thanks

2. Ugo

Ugo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    Lockdown means, dont open when they are 3 or 4 days befor hatching because you will lose humidty and temp that can hurt your hatch rate. temp should always be 99 no matter what incubator, though they say in still air incubator it should be 100 to 101, but ill keep it on 99. candleing should be ok to do, juyst not everyday [​IMG]. well i think thats it, correct me if im wrong anyone [​IMG]

oh and should be betwin 50 and 60 % humidity a little more or less should be ok. oh and you have to turn eggs at list 3 times a day, or 2.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  3. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    99-100 for the temp will be fine, your humidity requirements will vary depending on the humidity in the room where the incubator will be running. Rolling the eggs every 6 hours would be ideal but no more than 12 hours in between rolling (I've always had and taken advantage of an automatic turner). Lockdown- 3 days before hatch (day 14 or so for coturnix) stop rolling the eggs, up your humidity by about 15% and don't open your incubator until you want to remove chicks to your brooder. The brooder is your "box" to keep chicks warm and you should have it at about 99-100 degrees the first week after they hatch decreasing the temp by 5 degrees each week (if possible) until it is the same as where they will be kept as adults or room temp were the brooder is. Back to removing the chicks from the incubator you'll want to do this when the first chicks hatched are dry, fluffy, and running around kicking chicks still trying to hatch, this is when I do it anyway. At that time you still want to keep opening the incubator to a minimum and make it fairly quick. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  4. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Candle all your coturnix eggs before you set them to get rid of the cracked ones. Zero wax for cracked eggs. Throw them away! Then let them cook for 17-21 days. No further candling is required.

Sorry, but the humidity inside your bator is just that. If it's 45% then that is what it is in your bator

It's not magic.
    It's simple LOGIC!

Yes, if the external temp is 55-100 and the humidity is 30-45%, and your bator is reading 99.5 deg. F, and 45% humidity, then that is what is going on in your bator!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by