hatching in progress - urgent advice needed please

scatteredeggs

Chirping
8 Years
May 2, 2011
hi

i hv 59 quail eggs in lockdown phase. there are 3 babies in there now. concerns:

1. can open the incubator now?
2. should i take out the 3 babies out and put them in the brooder? (there's one zipped egg and occupant is in process of getting out, chicks sometimes park on top of it) they hatched overnight, fluffing and walking around very briskly
3. there's a bit of precarious situation. i hve shelf lining on top of 1/2" chicken wire/hardware cloth. i left the 2 ends of the hardwarecloth exposed thinking that humidity may be impeded if i don't. the chicks may probably walk out of the shelf lining and fall into the hardware cloth floor. if i spread out the shelf lining all over the hardware cloth floor, will that affect/decrease humidity?
4. i'm thinking of dumping the eggs on the shelf lining and do away with the plastic egg tray i'm using as hatching tray. i feel it may cause leg problems to the chicks as it is slippery for walking around.

your prompt and wise advice is greatly appreciated

I would fetch the dryer chicks out with a quickess... I would also leave the eggs in the tray... I would'nt worry much about the shelf liner... here again this is more opinion than experience so its worth what it cost... Bill

Quote:
if you are quick and do not dawdle i would say to get the eggs onto the shelf liner.
babies should be removed to the brooder when they are fluffed out .They don't have the reserves that other chicks have ...

hi,

thanks Bill and mhwc56. i got the chicks out and misted the bator so humidity is back up in no time.

mhwc56 - no reserves. that's my next question - give the chicks feed and water now?

thanks again.

i ground the feed and saw the chicks pecking. i used a wet-cat-food lid as waterer (with marbles) as the regular waterer lid is too tall.

Quote:
sounds like you have it covered.
you probably already know but in case not ,then start their brooder temps at 95* and lower it by 5* for the next 3 weeks . Have fun with your babies!

this is like being in labor to deliver a baby! i hv 59 eggs rocking, pipping and zipping hatching one by one. i shuffle between the incubator and the brooder. one rough chick is pecking on another's wing and dragging! geez!
good DH took care of the other critters this morning while i attend to the newborns.
and today is saturday!

Back
Top Bottom