Hatching in Southern humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SportChick, May 14, 2010.

1. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    My eggs haven't arrived yet. Planning to put in the incubator ~May 28. But I am working on making sure my incubator can maintain temps and humidity now. My problem is that my house's humidity, with the AC set at ~75 is 55-60%. That seems way to high from everything I've read. Will it go down when I turn the incubator on and heat it up? Do I need to run my A/C more to get my house temps down (and probably the humidity as well). I don't think I can get it down to 45%.

Any help would be appreciated. I've never done this before and have a feeling it would have been easier 2 months ago.

2. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Hi Sportchick,
    I live near the gulf coast in Texas and our house humidity runs between 50-60% humidity also. Because of this I use the dry incubation method. And add no water to the bator during the first 18 days, mine ran between 30-40% inside the bator. Hope this helps.

Here's the link for the dry incubation.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html

3. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Im here in Ga and it has been SUPER humid this WHOLE hatch.
    I have a LG bator and I keep the water filled as needed. Humidity isnt something to really panic over IMO...

I dont have my AC running (I try to keep it off as long as possible) but I keep the fan on the thermostat on and fans during the day to help air circulate through the house and keep the humidity down as well. I usually turn the thermostat fan off because it gets rather cooler at night and the temp in the bator will drop. Lately though I have been putting a childs blanket over the top at night with one hole left uncovered for a little air flow

Hope this helps [​IMG]

4. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    I think I am going to try to do follow the dry incubation method, although I am a little uncomfortable since it is pretty much the opposite of what my incubator instructions recommend but it sounds easier and seems to get good reviews. Although I happy to hear from someone that doesn't sweat about the humidity (pun intended) too much. Any other suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by