1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching in the Classroom!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LoneChick, Mar 4, 2015.

1. LoneChick

LoneChick New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    Hi all!
    I'm new to posting things so I hope this turns out alright... :)
    I'm a classroom teacher and I'm relatively new to raising chickens. I've decided to hatch some chicks in my classroom. I have a rooster and several hens. One hen successfully raised her first two chicks this past fall.:) I'd like to use their eggs in our classroom rather than order online however I've never done this before. I've tried aligning their rough hatch date so we're not on vacation. I also live in central Maine, so the temperature is ranges from 10- 40 degrees outside this time of year. How do should I transport the eggs? How much time do I have before it kills the developing chick? I don't live far from school (approx. 10 minutes). Any advice? I've never used an incubator- let alone in the classroom, so any advice is very helpful!

2. chuckalope

chuckalope Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2015
    Check out the learning center. Go to page 2 and look at hatching eggs 101. I've learned so much there. There are some very knowledgeable people here too. Good luck to you!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  3. LoneChick

LoneChick New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    Thanks so much! I'll check it out!

4. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    Welcome to BYC!

X2 on the learning center.
    If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by