Hatching in the Winter???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joyous, Nov 24, 2010.

1. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    I have seen that some of you hatch all year round....so I was wondering. How long to you have to keep them in the house before you put them in the chicken coop? I have some 7 week olds in a separate pen with a heatlamp 24/7 in the coop that are doing well. I could partition it off to have two pens with a heat lamp each, but with the freezing weather we get from dec-march in Iowa I would think a new hatch would have to be at least 8 weeks until you put them in the coop? My second question is that I have some 7 month old dorkings that have been laying for about a month. Since I have never had dorkings before, I don't know if medium sized eggs is normal, or if they will get bigger with time....could I put them in the inci now??? Thanks! It sure would be fun to time some Christmas chicks for my Grandchildren!

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

If the eggs are not tiny they you can hatch them.

I brood outside in a old deep freeze. You can see it here. http://cmfarm.us/cam_1.html

As
    you can see its cold in there an they huddle up to the pipe heater I built. You could put the same heater anywhere you raise chicks as long as there is no draft. Here's the build page. http://cmfarm.us/pvc-heater.html

3. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    Great ideas! Love the heater! How do you ventilate and keep clean the freezer brooder?

4. marcym

marcym Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Iowa
    I grew up in Long Grove, and am just north of DeWitt now. I plan on hatching all winter long. I have 38 that just hatched last night and today. They will stay in the house until next Wed, then out to the brooder they go. Worked like a charm the last batch I set out three weeks ago. At 3 weeks, they are feathered out much more than the ones in the Spring were, and seem to be twice as healthy too. I haven't lost one yet, knock on wood.

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I have the lid propped open about an inch on one end. Never cleaned that one. It still has the same 6 inches of wood chips that I put in it a year an a half ago, I just turn it ever now an then. There is worms in there to though. Never has a smell. The other one I have I have cleaned out once with a long handle dust pan an then hosed it down. I could have just dumped it in the yard though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by