1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching info??

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by AZchickens17, May 1, 2017.

1. AZchickens17

AZchickens17 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am totally new to hatching eggs and have a breeding pair of red golden pheasants. My main question is how long can I wait to collect eggs before I put them in the incubator. Also what can I use to deworm the pheasants?

Any information or advice is appreciated:)

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Eggs are best if set at day 14,at day 15 their viability starts to drop.If you leave them in the pen the hen may decide to set on them herself.not saying that she will,but she may.I use Ivemec available at tractor supply.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. AZchickens17

Ok. Can I use garlic or cayenne pepper as a natural version?

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I don't think those will work.I've heard of pumpkin as a natural wormer but neither of those.
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. AZchickens17

Ok. Thanks for your help. What is the right temp and humidity level?Right now the temp is 101 and the humidity is about 62%.

6. 007Sean

007Sean Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Depends on if you are using a still air or forced air incubator. Still air temp should 103 at top of the eggs. Forced air should be 99.5 or 100deg will work fine. Both incubators should read 50% humidity during incubation time, then at hatch time you want to bump it it up to 70%.

7. AZchickens17

I have still air incubator. Have you had successful hatches with those temps and humidities?

8. TwoBFlying

TwoBFlying Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2017
    Hello, Tony is a great wealth of information. He's helped me and not even known it by reading some of his previous posts. A natural wormer would be food grade diatomaceous earth. It works well on all livestock and is simply sprinkled on their food. It can be bought at most feed stores and is reasonably priced.

9. AZchickens17

So should I bump the humidity down to around 50%?

10. Midnightman14

Midnightman14 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    I would not go with any of the so called natural wormers/remedies. DE does help but it's not quite thorough enough to get the job done on its own. Cayenne pepper is just straight up unhealthy and garlic doesn't do anything.

007Sean likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by